340 cam bearing alignment?

-

Mattmoto441

Reaction score
Just got the 340 back from the machine shop and I have to bearings that look to be a bit out of alignment. Is this gonna be a major issue? I haven't contacted the shop about it yet I just got the block back today
20200630_201352.jpg
20200630_201434.jpg
20200630_201356.jpg

They could have definitely done a better job than that ! JMO

Those holes oil the rockers, rocker tips, and help cool the springs. They only shoot oil up twice every cam revolution anyway. They would probably be ok as is but correcting them like inertia mentioned would be a good idea. It's just doing things right.

They'll be fine. That's not enough to hurt flow in the least. A lot of times, the bearings are not made perfect and they must be installed in a "compromise" of more than one hole. You either line one hole up perfect and close one off or restrict one or line both up "almost". If that's the worst of it, it's a non issue. That's totally acceptable.

Check the other holes. If you can rotate the bearing and all the oil holes come out better, I wouldn't use that machine shop again.

Keep in mind, what's the next component in the order? A solid piece of metal, as in the cam journal itself! With, lets say maybe 3 thou clearance for the oil to get around. That misalignment is trivial in regards to what the oil has to do. And just like what RRR said above, often it's a compromise when it comes to the clocking of the alignment for the one that acts as the oil transfer galary to the heads.

Also if you remove them to turn them they should be replaced. They are a slight interference fit. Once you install them they are sized. Some will disagree but you wouldn't want it to spin on you.

Also if you remove them to turn them they should be replaced. They are a slight interference fit. Once you install them they are sized. Some will disagree but you wouldn't want it to spin on you.
Yes, one time install. The op can run them. They are kind of ok the way they were installed.

I’d be more worried about the cam spinning in the bearings then then the oil holes off a tad bit. If you were worried you should had not taken the block. I personally go over my stuff before i leave the machine shop. People make mistakes. We used to carve the holes out with a Small pocket knife to get them spot on. Then fit the cam by slightly dragging the knife blade over where the cam was hanging up. Ya did give the machine shop the cam right?!? To test fit it?

They make a bearing scraper. If it were me I would throw those bearings away and get durabond coated race bearings. They usually fit perfect and are a better bearing. Just one of those parts you only want to do once and have them last. King bearings for the mains and rods. Although Clevites have more selection of sizes when clearances are critical.

This alignment may be acceptable. But is that want you want? "Acceptable" If it was my motor they would have to be right on the money. Proper oiling is the most important thing for any motor. Main oil passage from the pump that was there from the factory is "Acceptable" But everyone drills them to 1/2 inch. Just something to think about.

-
Back