340 carb size

-

hockeydad1189

Reaction score
hi i have a carter afb 625 cfm i am looking at a edelbrock performer 600 cfm is there a big difference between the two it is a street car stock intake stock exhaust manifold it is for a duster . what is the biggest and smallest carb i can use

they are pretty much the same carb, The 600s work well on 340s.

Are you looking for a replacement because it's tired and needs a rebuild or do you want a little more performance. If it's the later you might want to check out the thunder series. I believe a 650cfm is avail. in that line. A 600 is fine, but i have found even a stock 340 will respond to a little more cfm.

i am either going to rebuild the carter or a guy in work has either a 600 or 650 performer less than a year old for 75 bucks

my stock 1971 340 came with 780 t-quad replaced it and the stock man. with a edde air gap and a 800 edde would not use an edelbrock carb if your gas has ethanol in it the uncoated alum. does not like the ehtanol we have a lot of problems with the eddes here when the gas got ethanol in it

i am either going to rebuild the carter or a guy in work has either a 600 or 650 performer less than a year old for 75 bucks

That's a great deal, i'd probably take that myself....hey, 75 bucks :thumbrig:

I hate that we've got 10% ethenol now and if there are any issues with it you really can't do anything about it.

340 will in stock or mild shape can use more then 600 but it will run well with a 600. if your going to use gears like 3.23 600 will do fine IMO if your 3.73 or higher i would look into larger then 600

I wonder why back in the day they put an 850 thermoquad on a 340:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Because it's a demand-type carb that works on a range of displacements... Even if the engine only pulls 600 cfm the TQ will still work. They're kinda in a class by themselves, not the same as an Eddy or Holley.:glasses7:

With stock manifolds either carb (600 or 625) will work fine, not much difference between the two and a bigger carb won't give much more power without other upgrades.

I wonder why back in the day they put an 850 thermoquad on a 340:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Cause they knew what the ffffffff they were doin.

I tried a lot of carbs on my old 340, Holley, 750 vac sec, Holley 650 Double Pumper, Proform 750, Edelbrock 600, Edelbrock 750. The Edelbrock 600 always ran great on the street but I did have to pick up a calibration kit for it to get rid of a lean cruise condition.

The edelbrock 750 ran awful, couldnt tune it to make it better. The 750 Holley caught on fire, The 650 double pumper ran good, The proform carb ran great up top but didnt have the around town pull the Edelbrock had.

I dont know what was done to the motor, It had cheap headers, an LD340 and a Mopar Performance tach drive distributor.

-
Back