340 cast crank harmonic balancer stops on crank- help!

-

mostrood

Reaction score
Hi all- I'm finishing my 1972 340 build and balancer seems to stop at the 'step' in the barrell of the balancer. My engine block is cast '72, the crank is cast. I bought this balancer separately. I don't want to start forcing things, hoping you smart mopar folks can advise me. Thanks!!!

20240901_073646.jpg

20240901_073618.jpg

Take some fine sandpaper or emery cloth and clean the bore of the balancer and also the snout of the crank. Don't grind off material just polish it up a bit. Pay attention to any bumps or ridges that may need to get knocked down. THere might be a burr on there somewhere.

Thanks, it slides right on and stops on that step I'm the balancer hole.

The balancer is not "slip on fit" it is press fit. Do you have access to a balancer installer?

I don't have a balancer installer, good call thanks. Just unfamiliar with that step inside the balancer. Wanted to run that by mopar scholars and double check before I start driving it on.

Don't drive it on with a hammer. You might damage the thrust bearing. Get a longer bolt that is the same threads as your balancer bolt, run a nut way up on it, add a thick flat washer, then screw it all the way into the end of the crank and then tighten the nut down to pull she balancer into place on the crank. When it bottoms out, unscrew the nut and then remove the bolt and install the balancer bolt and torque it down.

you could use all thread, like a stud, so you aren't stressing the crank threads

JD's approach with a long bolt is the same.

IIRC, autozone rents tools, including balancer install sets

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Glad you all reminded me about the install tool or the like.

-
Back