340 cooling

-

canner78

canner78
Reaction score
my dad is getting a 340 put in his car. he has a 19 inch rad and a 4 blade fan off of a 318 car. i was wondering if this will provide ample cooling or should he be looking for a larger rad and or fan.

Tuning has a lot to do with this set up.If you run lean, and mean, it could get dicey. I ran a 4 blade, with the stock rad, and never went over 190 deg. I now run a seven blade, 3 core rad, with NO shroud, and stay below 180 deg. If possible, I would recommend a shroud with your set up. My highs were recorded at an ambiant temp of about 90 degrees F.

this will be a street tuned car. he does have the factory fan shroud and he is going to be running a 160 degree thermostat

IMO, to cool a stat, 180* stat to start with. Fan might not be enuff. I'd do a viscous fan and shroud for the car. (Current shroud may not work. Not to famiular with various shrouds.)

the fan, rad and shroud came out of the same 318 car so it should all fit the rad and shroud are currently in the car. we had planned on going with an electric fan but there isn`t enough room between the rad and the water pump so we thought we would use the stock fan, if it would cool enough

I had a 160 in my 360 with a 3 core rad and stock fan and shroud, engine ran too cool, everyone I talked to suggested a 180 t-stat, an engine running to cold isn't good can cause unneccessary wear due to tolerances being larger, I think engines are happier running at 180-200. Newer engines run 195 and higher.

The 180 thermostat will allow the coolant to stay in the radiator longer. Thus the air going thru will be able to cool it more. If you can find one mopar did have a 7 blade fan on some cars.

Yeppers...just took the 7 blade off my Dart (was A/C car).

Bah.....19" 2 core radiator, 4 blade fan...must be nice to live in a mild climate :thebirdm: (just kidding)...at least our race tracks are open year round.:cheers:

-
Back