340 core $4k?

-

0o7

Reaction score
First let me say that I apologize if this has been brought up before. I couldn't find anything through the search function.
Currently, I'm looking to restore a '68-'70 Dart Swinger 340 or GTS 340. My goal is to try and keep everything as much period correct as possible. I'm exploring the idea of having a 340 built for me to push 400-450 hp. The person I talked to today said that a 340 mopar core, alone, would cost me around $4k :tongue9::tongue9:! Are they getting that hard to find!? I'm a bit new to all this but wow. If anyone could provide any ryhme or reason to this our some suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thx

Find a new person to talk to. You should be able to find a complete 340 core for around $1000-$1200 or a bare block for $500

Or just use a 360 block and tell everyone its a 340.

I like the way you think Adam - mines a 340 really! actually a 360 but who the hell know's the difference it's a 340 car.... by my books...

First let me say that I apologize if this has been brought up before. I couldn't find anything through the search function.
Currently, I'm looking to restore a '68-'70 Dart Swinger 340 or GTS 340. My goal is to try and keep everything as much period correct as possible. I'm exploring the idea of having a 340 built for me to push 400-450 hp. The person I talked to today said that a 340 mopar core, alone, would cost me around $4k :tongue9::tongue9:! Are they getting that hard to find!? I'm a bit new to all this but wow. If anyone could provide any ryhme or reason to this our some suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thx

Maybe for a nicely rebuilt 340 (with some nice go-fast stuff on it) but not for a core.

I'm thinking that he means he has automatic(transmissions) and 4 speed bellhousings. But someone could call him.

Chuck

There are better deals, although quite aways away from you this seems like a good buy. If I had the $ it would be in my garage already.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/554416054.html

It's about 200 miles from me and will go get for someone on this site for the cost of gas.

Chuck
Thanks for the offer Chuck. I'll think it over

Maybe for a nicely rebuilt 340 (with some nice go-fast stuff on it) but not for a core.

My thoughts exactly

Too bad you're that far away 007, I have a friend that has a '68 340, complete put disassembled, the bearings spun. He was hoping to get $1000. for it, but that is negotiable.
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/?action=view&current=P1290012.jpg
It was a recent rebuild with very low miles (200 ish), and it comes with new parts still in un-opened boxes.

So for sure they are out there and for a lot cheaper than $4000.
You can get a brand new 340 bare block for just under $2000.
Keep looking, here is a good start, or like Adam said go with the 360.

hell i have a std. bore 340 block , crank, X-heads sitting in the shed i would let go for like $700 all you need is rods and pistons.

Just looked over at moparts and the were 2 ads I saw for 340's
Both disassembled, one was $2800 the other was $8000 #-o
I'll stick with my cheap 440's

I see 2 bare blocks on Moparts for $400. One is owned by a member here. PM Moper if interested.

I see a forged 340 crank for $125

Heres another block

I have a 1970 340 block for sale. The block has been freshly diamond honed .040 over with a torque plate. Asking $350 or offer. Thanks, John
PM me or email: [email protected]

i had a guy try to write me a check for 4 grand for the 70 340 thats in my duster. but its a complet motor.

I posted on here not long ago there was a complete 340 in the local paper for $800...and another guy on here sent me an email and offered me a complete 340 for $700. Both of these in the past 3 months or so.

-
Back