340 crank pulley torque?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Ive searched and found anything from 17 ft lbs to 20 ft lbs, i know either should be fine but which one should i use. Im using grade 8 bolts and advised torque is 25 dry and lubricated is 18 ft lbs.

Also the pulley has one hole that is slotted, does this have to be positioned in a particular spot? It seems the pulley holes line up no matter how the pulley is oriented so whats the slot for?

Standard torque for Grade 8 5/16X18 bolts. Starting in the early seventies, the pulley bolt pattern on the balancer had one offset bolt, that’s the reason for the notch.

slotted hole is to let it work on older symetrical pattern balancers. Newer cast crank balancers needed to be clocked Although not on crank as the keyway did that.....

And the hand tight dry assembly is best, no need to pull threads in the cast iron of the balancer.

Thanks guys, im going to set it at 17 ft lbs. there is still some thread sealer left in the threads in the dampener so if will be lubricated. Im also using lock washers. They sent stainless Allen cap bolts but not sure i trust them, the head on them is barely larger than the hole. So is the offset dampener holes only 70’s and later? Its a aftermarket powerbond dampener so im sure the holes are the same and none are offset, i would think

If you have the factory bolts with the captured lock washers those are the ones you want to use. If you must use different bolts with washers, use flat instead of garden variety locks. Most lock washers being spun at crankshaft speeds will separate and become projectiles at some point.

If you have the factory bolts with the captured lock washers those are the ones you want to use. If you must use different bolts with washers, use flat instead of garden variety locks. Most lock washers being spun at crankshaft speeds will separate and become projectiles at some point.

there were some small washers on there but they arent split, i thought they were just washers

Yes, captured split lock washers are what the factory bolts used.

My 3/8 torque wrench only goes down to 20. Well the handle will go lower but im not sure if its accurate once it gets out of the markings on the torque wrench. I set it to 20 ft lbs and torqued them in a star pattern and went over them about 8 times lol. I was also using a 3” extension so im sure theres at least a ft lb or two less at the bolt from torque loss

You'll be fine.
Cast iron thread strength is actually higher than in steel. Hence, we can put in ARP head bolts or STDs and the block will hold it.....

Roger.... Someone else referred to cast earlier, so I thought I'd chime in with the strength info for that.

-
Back