340 Cuda 4 barrel Thermo-Quad Carb ID

-

sbrinsky

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Auto Transmission 340 Cuda which possesses a 4 barrel Thermo-Quad Carb. On the rear drivers side of the carb mount/base I located the card id part number of 6457S. From the books I have read they state a 6457S is associated to a 400 Dodge. Can anyone advise if a TQ carb #5457S is in fact or possibly a carb associated to my run of Cuda's. I need to order a carb kit and want to be diligent to order the right one.

Thanks all in advance,
Shawn

6457S is 1974 400 Big block carb.
The correct carb for a 73 auto 340 is 6319S. Or 6340S if it had N98(emmissions) option

MoparMike1974,

The 6457S part is the number for sure stamped on the carb, and engine is a 340, so what are your thoughts? Any reason why the 6456S cannot work. It has run fine this way for years, but this summer started flooding after being shut off, hence why I intend to install a kit.

I can only think of two reasons why it has a 6457s carb (or number stamped on it):

1. The original was switched out somewhere done the road and this unit put on, Or

2. The orginal was pieced together with base of a 6357S. Not sure that is even possible.

Any reason why a 6457S could not work on my 73 340 Rally edition Cuda? What problems would it create (is it creating maybe I am not aware of) if it was a true 6457S carb as is?

I just can't figure out why that 6457S number is on there. My guy tells me it is in fact a complete 6457S carb unit as it sits mounted there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't over think this. More than likely, the TQ was switched out. Unless you want to search out the correct TQ for your 73, why not just work with what you have? Granted, you could check the FSMs or go online and do side-by-side comparisons of various things like: primary/secondary measurements, emissions differences (if any), etc. GL.

I wouldn't over think this. More than likely, the TQ was switched out. Unless you want to search out the correct TQ for your 73, why not just work with what you have? Granted, you could check the FSMs or go online and do side-by-side comparisons of various things like: primary/secondary measurements, emissions differences (if any), etc. GL.

Thanks GTX. Your likley right.

-
Back