340 dual point??

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
i was told that this was a 340 dist. is it? if so, is there a market for them??

IMG_20240501_191558.jpg

IMG_20240501_191407.jpg

IMG_20240501_191411.jpg

IMG_20240501_191419.jpg

I recognized it because I have 4 of them. Should be basically the same as a 340, but the mech. advance springs and the shims in the vac advance are probably different.

if there is a market for them, i haven't found it. i have two that are fully restored and can't seem to sell them at a reasonable price.

somebody would probably give you $50 as a core

Not sure of the value by todays standards, but in the 70's they were bad ***. My buds cammed 70' 340 was breaking up in the mid 5k range with his newly purchased DC electronic setup, so i took it to a friend that was a PS racer at the time...Malcolm Durham...and he yanked the electronic out and did one of those up for me with good points and curve. After that it was smooth as glass up to 7k.

I have one for a 392 hemi which was verified as the same length as a LA small block. I have no idea how different it would be set up compared to a 273 or a 340 advance curve wise.
Nor how tuneable they are.
I have a (now buried) ad here for it and.... Crickets

I had a 71 Duster 340, I bought new, and it had a single point distributor. I put in the electronic setup and really woke that motor up.

if there is a market for them, i haven't found it. i have two that are fully restored and can't seem to sell them at a reasonable price.

somebody would probably give you $50 as a core
My guess is because everyone has pretty much switched over to electronic ignition.

I do not know why people still mess with points ign, unless it is a true 100% rest deal.
What's next, modifying the front of the engine so it can be started with a crank handle...

I do not know why people still mess with points ign, unless it is a true 100% rest deal.
What's next, modifying the front of the engine so it can be started with a crank handle...
Someone who has a car that is supposedly fully restored to all factory specifications would be the only ones that would be interested in it. I'm not familiar with mopars dual point distributor's but wasn't those only available on the hi po 273 and the 340 six pak's?

Someone who has a car that is supposedly fully restored to all factory specifications would be the only ones that would be interested in it. I'm not familiar with mopars dual point distributor's but wasn't those only available on the hi po 273 and the 340 six pak's?

As far as I know also on 340 with 4-speed.

We have a 69 Swinger with 4 speed and dual point distributor.

some types of class racing may require a whole "must be original or from the time period" type of deal.

anyway, have fun with your new fangled electromatronic ignition. when that big EDM blast comes, i'll still be cruising around in my 3/4 race cam 318 with 3500 stall and 3,91's because them points still be clickin' big chicken!

*adjusts tin foil hat*

anyway, have fun with your new fangled electromatronic ignition. when that big EDM blast comes, i'll still be cruising around in my 3/4 race cam 318 with 3500 stall and 3,91's because them points still be clickin' big chicken!

*adjusts tin foil hat*
That's what I was thinking. I want to be cruising around post apocalypse Mad Max style

Not unless it came like that. :rolleyes:

I still run my original dual point in my 66 273. I don't put many miles on it so a set of points may last me years.

I had Jeff Schlemmer of Advance Distributor rebuild a distributor for me, and asked him, "Would you run a Pertronix, or points?". He said points, so that's what I'm going with. I admit it's a PITA to set the duals when they are way in the back under the hood where you can barely reach them or see them. I usually pull the whole thing out and set them on the bench.

For the record, my reference tells me that dual point distributors were used in the following A-bodies:
1967 and earlier 273 4bbl
1968 340
1969 340 MANUAL only
1969 383
1969 440
1970 340 MANUAL only (from here down also includes E-body)
1970 440 & Hemi
1971 340 4bbl & 3x2bbl MANUAL only (also lists electronic ignition)
1971 440 3x2bbl
1971 Hemi (also lists electronic ignition)

I had Jeff Schlemmer of Advance Distributor rebuild a distributor for me, and asked him, "Would you run a Pertronix, or points?". He said points, so that's what I'm going with. I admit it's a PITA to set the duals when they are way in the back under the hood where you can barely reach them or see them. I usually pull the whole thing out and set them on the bench.
or even better, set 'em up and run that puppy on the machine to get it DOBA and burnish the points at the same time!

With the distributor in the rear on a small block, nothing but a pain to check points and worse if it is 2 sets.

For the record, my reference tells me that dual point distributors were used in the following A-bodies:
1967 and earlier 273 4bbl
1968 340
1969 340 MANUAL only
1969 383
1969 440
1970 340 MANUAL only (from here down also includes E-body)
1970 440 & Hemi
1971 340 4bbl & 3x2bbl MANUAL only (also lists electronic ignition)
1971 440 3x2bbl
1971 Hemi (also lists electronic ignition)

My "71" 340 Duster, 4 speed, had a cast iron dual point distributor. It was still breaking into the 13's with 100,000 miles on it. Factory intake, TQ, and dual point distributor. I'm not afraid of points. But I have moved to electronic ignition, chrome box, Taylor Spiro Pro wires, and platinum plugs. Both are fine with me.

-
Back