340 Engine Priming?

-

GoldDuster340

Reaction score
Hello I just had my 340 engine rebuilt for a resto im doing on my 72 340 Duster, I need to know the proper way to prime the engine before I start.
I have made a shaft to fit into the oil pimp but not sure what way to turn it and for how long etc?
Any help thanks.

Hello I just had my 340 engine rebuilt for a resto im doing on my 72 340 Duster, I need to know the proper way to prime the engine before I start.
I have made a shaft to fit into the oil pimp but not sure what way to turn it and for how long etc?
Any help thanks.

I got a 360 on the engine stand and kind of wondering the same thing. I know you turn it clockwise as this is the same as the distributer turns. I read in a Mopar thread somewhere you turn it for at least two minutes. You will feet the drill die down some as it starts to pickup the oil. I'm thinking about doing it while the engine is on the stand and then do it one more time before fire up. I would like to hear others replies also because I have never done it myself.

Keep spinning the drill until you feel it bog down, then keep doing it until the rockers are oiling.

I have primed many a motor but I never thought about turning the engine 180degrees while priming. I do not see any downside and it may help get additional pressure out to the rods as the internal passageways inside the crank line up with the pressure hole in the bearing.

Or...I have missed the point and there is no value!

Kory

I always turn it over a few times, and try to make sure everything is oiling good. You can't over do it.

I always have the valve covers off, use a drill and a modified old broken Long Standard screwdriver chucked up and spin it until oil comes to the top of the engine...

I have primed many a motor but I never thought about turning the engine 180degrees while priming. I do not see any downside and it may help get additional pressure out to the rods as the internal passageways inside the crank line up with the pressure hole in the bearing.

Or...I have missed the point and there is no value!

Kory

That's what I was thinking.

Having a buddy around for engine priming is a great idea. Have him watch the oil pressure come up on the gauge (you have installed a gauge, right?). Like everyone else says, you'll feel the resistance on the drill as the pressure comes up.

Once your helper sees pressure, have them rotate the engine twice to rotate the cam once. This will align the oiling holes on a LA engine cam. Have him check your oil pressure perodically and keep an out for leaks. Once that's done, rotate the engine so the #1 cyl is on 10 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke. Drop in your distributor drive gear so the slot runs pretty much fore and aft. Don't forget that it will twist clockwise as it drops in. Drop in your distributor so the rotor points to #1 and get ready to fire.

I always use straight water at first start up because I almost always find some kind of leak.

Hope this helps.

Has anybody experienced any cracking in the cast housing of the oil pump in the area where the drive goes in while priming?

-
Back