340 Engine with long time between casting and engine date

-

jpikaart

Reaction score
The casting numbers on my 340 in my 1972 Duster are "1 21 71'; signifying a casting date of January 21st, 1971. The stamping on the front of the engine block has; "33790169"; which I interrupt is December 2, 1971 on the Chrysler 10,000 day calendar. The VIN decoder for the fender tag says vehicle was scheduled for production on December 8th, 1971. So the last two dates make sense.

Would it be possible for an engine block be in the manufacturing system for almost a year? What would be a logical reason for this?

A clue may be an upside down "A" stamped on the front engine ID pad. I think this signifies a 0.020" overbore.

All of the VINs on the IP, the fender tag, the radiator support and the engine at the oil pan match. The engine at oil pan pad has the cutter path clearly defined. I have not looked for the transmission or the rear parcel shelf numbers yet.

While not common it is also not unheard of. The reason would be an over abundance of engine blocks. I have seen engines with gaps like that.

If I am not mistaking Chrysler was selling 340's over the counter that or the following year for 3 or 400. And I think you're right on the .020 over bore. An "A" would be .02

Well, I had a 383 block with a 1969 casting date and an assembly date of mid-year 1971, so yes it's entirely possible!!

The casting numbers on my 340 in my 1972 Duster are "1 21 71'; signifying a casting date of January 21st, 1971. The stamping on the front of the engine block has; "33790169"; which I interrupt is December 2, 1971 on the Chrysler 10,000 day calendar. The VIN decoder for the fender tag says vehicle was scheduled for production on December 8th, 1971. So the last two dates make sense.

Would it be possible for an engine block be in the manufacturing system for almost a year? What would be a logical reason for this?

A clue may be an upside down "A" stamped on the front engine ID pad. I think this signifies a 0.020" overbore.

All of the VINs on the IP, the fender tag, the radiator support and the engine at the oil pan match. The engine at oil pan pad has the cutter path clearly defined. I have not looked for the transmission or the rear parcel shelf numbers yet.
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a jan 70' 440 in a 1972 car, built feb 72.
My 67'GTX with a cast date of Jan 1966, and a build date of apr 26, 67. I even have a 440 cast date of Jan 65, and it is in a feb 66 Chrysler new Yorker. So Chrysler started production of the 440 while still putting 413's in the full size cars.
Chrysler built a lot at one time, and things tended to sit around. all your numbers look fine.

As long as the VIN #'s match, enjoy it! Personally, I am not a purist on all numbers matching cars. Sure it's nice to have, but build it the way you want IMO

in an off note...my 360 has a cast date of dec 16 1978 , manufactured in jan of 79 and the truck was purchased off the lot in the beginning of Feb of 79 .... seems awful quick

I have seen a lot of two to 3 weeks from block cast, assembly to car assembly.

in an off note...my 360 has a cast date of dec 16 1978 , manufactured in jan of 79 and the truck was purchased off the lot in the beginning of Feb of 79 .... seems awful quick

My 69 383 block was cast May 5 of 69, and machined on May 15 of the same month. So much for a seasoned block. Glad to hear they were all not that way.

The engine had 80k miles on it when I took it out of a 20 year old wreck last year; and it still turned over. During rebuild inspection I must admit the crank align bore was nearly perfect and decks were square too.

-
Back