340 exhaust manifolds

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I just removed the exhaust manifolds and exhaust system from the 318 in my 71 dart. I am installing 340 HP manifolds and a TTI exhaust system. I see there are no gaskets on these 318 manifolds. Should I be using somthing with the 340 manifolds or just bolt them on. If I should use gaskets, which ones?

yes use gaskets. They didnt need them, when new but with years of use they arent as flat as the use to be.

I believe there was no gaskets used from the factory between the exhaust manifolds and the block. They were just bolted up. Have the surfaces machined true so there isn't any exhaust leaks.

I'd rather throw gaskets on it then pull both heads and drag them to a machine shop to machine them...

we usually just have the manifolds surfaced and put them on. unless there was a gasket then we use them but no gasket they get machined. never had any problems with this style of doing it

A long time ago I took my manifolds down to the machine shop and they surfaced them, doesn't leak at all. There's supposed to be a stamped shield on the driver's side that keeps the heat off the plug wires, but repops are like $140 so screw that noise.

Factory doesn't always do things the best way.

I threw some cheap exhaust gaskets on mine, was temped not to but figurer why not and keeps the metal from touching the metal. Doesn't leak.

Cast iron manifolds don't leak as easy as headers do

-
Back