340 Forged Crank & Balancer

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, 73s came with cast cranks only.
When mine broke, my engine builder used a 318 truck crank....
forged and Nitraded.

I have a 2658393 crank, it came out of a 69 273 can someone chime in a tell if its cast or forged?

...on another note what would happen if you use the wrong dampener?

I`ll wait for some replys before i tell what i've done....DOH...maybe.

Demon if its right i`ll PM you.

I have 3 steel cranks and 1 cast all need machined 75.00 Eh on steel and 25.00 on cast also have 4 damper for steel cranks 20.00 Eh plus shipping can get in touch E-Mail [email protected] or 727-743-1307 EST 9:00AM to 10:00PM and yes the 273 had a steel crank

Well after looking around here and other places, the "CASTING" #`s on the crank suggest its a cast crank.

When i got the car the 273 block was froze and busted all to hell, I found the 340 block already .030 over with a forged crank just waiting to be finished, so i got it and a set of J heads for it. When I pulled the 273 10 yrs ago, I swapped everything off it to the 340, damper and all. I was told then that the 273 has a steel crank in it so I kept the crank. When i saw this thread about looking for a crank I finally really looked at it the 273 crank I kept and I guess someone at one time replaced the crank with a cast one and didn`t replace the damper. Should have known after seeing that the adjustable rockers were already gone from the 273 when i got it. So in short it seems they were running the wrong damper on the 273.

Seca,
The previous owner of my car (73 340) put an high stall converter on it but it was for an internal balanced (68-72) steel crank. He should have put the weighted converter on it. So the crank was out of balance and eventually cracked it at the #1 main bearing. It actually broke in 2 when the crank was lifted out of the engine.

Regarding steel cranks.
FYI. The 69 273 cranks actually are CAST and yes the c# is 2858393, (I have one). They also came with the standard 'forged' balancer. They were internally balanced, and it is the weight of the pistons and crank counterweights that matter here.
Since 69 273's are less common, it is common to assume they are the same as 64-68 engines, but mopar started going to cast cranks this year en mass.
I also have several forged 273 cranks for sale, if other deals fall through.
red

Regarding steel cranks.
FYI. The 69 273 cranks actually are CAST and yes the c# is 2858393, (I have one). They also came with the standard 'forged' balancer. They were internally balanced, and it is the weight of the pistons and crank counterweights that matter here.
Since 69 273's are less common, it is common to assume they are the same as 64-68 engines, but mopar started going to cast cranks this year en mass.
I also have several forged 273 cranks for sale, if other deals fall through.
red

Thanks for the info guys. Now don't laugh, I used the rods out of the 273 in my 340 soooo hows that going to work out in the long run? 340 forged crank with 273 rods and damper. Now before anyone hammers me for that, this thing has been together for about 8yrs and been to the track about 6 or 7 times and maybe 10,000 miles or so cruising. What do you think?

Demon:Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back