340 gasket kit advice

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys....and gals...I'm planning and tearing down my 69 340 here shortly and wondered if there was any recommendations as far as gasket kits. As well my barracuda should be home shortly and I dont know if there are any other gaskets that I should be getting along with the engine kit. I believe there are gaskets for the door handles, one for the heater motor as well. I havent checked the bore yet, but I believe it is std bore if that makes a difference ordering the kit. Thanks!!

The head gaskets that come in the FelPro kit are .054" thick. The FelPro 1008 head gaskets are .039" thick. The thickness will have an effect on compression.

The MP gasket kit is a good one. I just don't like the head gaskets. No mention of there diamentions on or in the box. There bore size is huge. If your going for a very specific ratio, you'll need to know that gasket bore and thickness or get other gaskets for use.

Summit/Jegs, your local Chrysler/Dodge, MoPar dealer.

I mix and match the kits, some have better intake gaskets, some have better oil pan gaskets.

I haven't come across the perfect kit yet. FelPro and MP kits are good ones for the engine.

For the body gasket kit (door handles, wiper motor, master cylinder...), I'd go with DMT kit.

but bore size is available?

HUH? Come again.

From Summitt racings site, the 1008 head gasket;

Head Gasket, Composition Type, 4.180 in. Bore, .039 in. Compressed Thickness, Chrysler, Small Block, Each

Part Number: FPP-1008

Mr Gasket

Head Gasket, Multi-Layer Steel, 4.060 in. Bore, .040 in. Compressed Thickness, Mopar, Small Block, Each

Part Number: MRG-3210G

Sorry, I get in here, and BBD at the same time, triying to get some info for my buddy's 69 Charger. I just seemed to remember, needed different gaskets for an overbore.

Thanks guys, I guess being somewhat of a rookie here, but IMO, my priority would be the head gaskets??? Obviously I want good gaskets everywhere else as well, but if I spend good money, best to make sure the head gaskets are vg quality. I havent had any headwork done(milling), its got new springs, valves etc with hardened seats, but no machining. I dont think I need a machine shop to check anything out yet, but does anyone know where I could "rent" some gauges to check everything on the engine out?
Thanks for the advice guys!!

I use nothing but Felpro in all my engines,never had a problim in 30 years.The blue ones.Even when I did my rear end I got Felpro for the diff.

4spdragtop;

The MoPar gasket kit is Fel-Pro gaskets. They used to be "Detroit" sets.

Gauges; At the price of them, just purchase them.

Fel-Pro has a standard and Performance versions of there stuff. I've had no issue with regular Fel-Pro gaskets.

Fel-Pro has a standard and Performance versions of there stuff. I've had no issue with regular Fel-Pro gaskets.

I've used the 1008 forever and never a problem.
This is with ludicrous amounts of torture and mishaps.
Never a problem. Great gaskets.

I think a lot of people overthink gaskets.
Cometics and stuff of that level really isnt needed by 90 percent of the people who use them.

I typically mix and match gaskets. I dont use factory intake gaskets, and head gaskets will vary by the engine build. But for most other gaskets, Felpro is what I use.

What issues did you have??
I used the felpro ones with the blue borders (printoseal?) & they sealed OK but on mockup I had to cut some of the center section (by the heat riser) out to shorten em so the gasket port openings would line up with the intake/head port openings (no big deal) but definitely WAY sloppy mfr ing tolerances

Steve don't for get the paint gasket kit.It has every thing in it that replaces what goes back on.

-
Back