340 heads??

-

DartSportGreg

The system has failed!
Reaction score
I have a set of 1970 340 "O" casting heads(2.02). The "white book" says the 1970 340's and 340 sixpacks used them. They've been hot tanked and magnufluxed and are totally rebuildable with no cracks. I also have a full set of brand new Ferrea stainless intake and exhaust valves for them. I'm just curious what these heads would be worth if I decided to sell them with the valves or even without. Anybody got a ballpark figure. I think they're pretty rare as most 340 stuff is nowadays.

Not as much as you may think.

I'd say 200-250 max if std 340 heads. X heads get more money than O or J heads. The valves have value being new. The heads aren't all that rare and the same as J heads. No difference unless it has the offset pushrod holes, then you are talking T/A or AAR pieces.

Otherwise they are just 340 heads.

I've picked up complete pairs O, J and sometimes X heads for $50-200. They all needed to be refurbed.

Actually, I heard the "O" casting was the same as the "X" casting, the canadian 340 2.02/1.60 version used the "O" version in Canada. Someone on this site poseted that info before, can't remember who.

X-J-O-U it doesnt matter, They all have the same ports. Only thing that makes a difference is the casting date (to see what valve size they came with) and casting number if you need a certain number for a restoration.

What is the casting number of the heads ?

X-J-O-U it doesnt matter, They all have the same ports. Only thing that makes a difference is the casting date (to see what valve size they came with) and casting number if you need a certain number for a restoration.

What is the casting number of the heads ?

Any bets it ends in 915

Here's what my Chrysler Corporation Part and casting numbers book says:

casting #3418915- 1970-71 360 open chamber 1.88, 1.6 (J,Z,O)

casting #3418915- 1970 340 T/A open chamber 2.02, 1.6 (O, U)

casting #3418915- 1971-72 340/360 open chamber 1.88, 1.6 (J)

Mine have the 3418915 casting#, 2.02 valves and have the (O), wouldn't that make them T/A heads, being that the only other 340 heads with the same casting# and an "O" has the 1.88 valves?
I'll check for the offset pushrod hole tomorrow.

Nothing about the casting numbers will make them a TA head. The only way to identify them as a TA head is the offset intake pushrod holes. It's VERY obvious. If it hasn't jumped out at you as stange looking, I doubt they are TA heads. I've had a couple of sets of 2.02" standard 340 "O" heads. All of the TA heads I have seen have been J castings, but I'm not saying that they all are.

Well if they are, I might've been to leanant on the price but oh well. I'll check the pushrod holes today.

Ma Mopar didn't make it real easy to identify heads since they used the same casting number on several of them. I have seen several mix and match cast numbers/letters i.e. 915 castings with J,O,U and 587 with no letter, J, O, and U I just look them over and see what they really are. Books are almost useless sometimes since they made so many variances in them. The one thing that is for sure is except for the TA/AAR head all the others are really closely made and flow nearly the same. Like someone said above they have to have the offset pushrods to be AAR/TA heads. I've also read X heads are better flowing. I had my 68 340 X heads flowed before I ported them and they were no better than the numbers I've seen for any 2.02/1.60 valve J head.

-
Back