340 Hot Questions

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Drove my barracuda to get exhaust today and in a 8 mile round trip when I pulled in my drive my engine temp was 215. After shutting it off(I have the Sniper EFI) my radiator overflow line drained a bunch of coolant (about a 70 water to 30 collant with wetter mix) I noticed that the coolant on ground was air temp. Does that seem normal? it's a stock 340 rebuild, sniper, 340 exhaust manifolds, alumn. radiator new, 180 thermo. stock fan and water pump. 65 plugs. 7 BTDC timing, thanks

That does not seem correct to me. It should
be hot.
I wonder if you thermostat is opening.
I would temp, remove the thermostat and try another drive.
OR Run the engine and watch the radiator for flow movement.
Possibly a hose could collapse and restrict flow + I would inspect
while engine is running

Check temp on both hoses. Both should be hot, with the upper hotter than the lower. Check the flow. If no flow, check that the t-stat will open by putting it on the stove in a pot of boiling water. Other oddball things to check if you still have problems......make sure the fan in not on backwards, hopefully you took the dust plugs out of the new radiator and there haven't been any rags left inside anywhere. I know that sounds ridiculous, but, I've seen all those things happen several times.

Will do all Thanks Soon as I shut the car off I checked both hoses for collapse No collapse I believe both hoses was hot to. So I will check the other things I figured the water should been hot Thanks All

Was that hose that spit, attached directly to the rad?
or was it from an overflow tank?
If the latter, then in just 8 miles it might not mean much.

For reference, 7* of idle-timing is not much, even for a stock-cammed 340.

Get an infrared temp gun and verify the engine temp.

Check the radiator for blockage. Mice can plug up a radiator when you're not looking.

Very Cheap at Harbor Freight.
Much Cheaper than rebuilding you engine!
I love mine. It's helped me diagnose several problems for friends and also optimize my own cooling system.

7 degrees of idle timing will make it run hotter than 15 degrees. Just saying

Back in the day, some Mopars ran at tdc, some even ran at 5 degrees AFTER tdc. And guaranteed for 50,000 miles or more. And didn't overheat. -- Just saying.

Back in the day, some Mopars ran at tdc, some even ran at 5 degrees AFTER tdc. And guaranteed for 50,000 miles or more. And didn't overheat. -- Just saying.
"Back in the day" there was actually very high quality LEADED HIGH OCTANE gasoline that aided greatly in both cooling and lubrication. Even the "regular" gas was leaded and 90 plus octane. Now we have alcohol tainted crap gas that runs hotter and has a much higher evaporation rate. Just sayin.

They were stock, and had factory designed cooling systems and were way down in power, all for emissions reasons. And honestly didn’t run good.

They were stock, and had factory designed cooling systems and were way down in power, all for emissions reasons. And honestly didn’t run good.
Yes and all were lower compression than actually advertised, so there was THAT.

-
Back