340 in a 65 plymouth valiant

-
Absolutely, with a few mods and driveline upgrades. Extent of mods will depend on if you are starting with a V8 or /6 car and if it has auto or manual trans. Choice of headers are fenderwell by hooker & others or non fenderwell's offered by TTI or Doug Thorley. Can also use spitfire headers if you can get em. Here are couple pics of friends 64 valiant work in progress with 340 4 speed swap.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 376.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 316
  • parts 377.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 325
Yes it will fit as said.First check to see if you have the V8 centerlink as they did put them in 6 cyl cars also.I bought engine mounts from Schumacher for the V8 swap.I found it to be an easy swap other than cutting for my 1 7/8 tube fenderwells.Ofcourse TTI makes 1 3/4 tube underchassis headers now.:banghead:Good luck.
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 311.jpg

Depending on what bell housing you run, you may have to do some mods to the tunnel. Also may have some header issues with the 4spd if you run chassis headers.

Not a 340 anymore, but it is a 340 block and an a833 4 gear and everything fits fine.

DSC01586.jpg

Pretty easy swap. Motor mount modifications (weld on a triangular tab)or use Schumachers, Dropped centerlink is required, Timing cover and water pump combo with radiator are a minor concern since the water hose hookup is opposite, it's just a matter of selecting a correct combination of parts (you can swap 273 timing cover and brackets like 396 Signet did), bellhousing/clutch is another area that can be a minor puzzle. You have to decide if you're going to keep a 273 122 tooth flywheel and 9-1/2 -10" clutch or change to the larger belhousing and larger 130T flywheel clutch combo. Correct linkage can be a puzzle if you swap the the larger but a lot of folks have made the change so make a decision and ask for info on the combo you want to run or you can buy the correct combo from Brewers. As has been mentioned, exhaust will be your biggest issue...but there are a few options.....
Have fun!

-
Back