340 Intake Manifold

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
Well....my honeymoon is over! Now that I have had this car for a couple of months all those little annoying things are cropping up. Having had less than 3000 mi in 16 yearsput on it, a lot of leaks and things are happening. The latest is the thermostat, simple enough you say? HA. The first bolt I turned broke off at the head so I drilled it and got after it with an easy out... the farggin easy out broke off flush with the manifold surface!!!!!
Since it looks like I am going to have to take the manifold off to get this fixed, should I consider getting a new manifold or a different one?
The current one is an Edelbrock LD4B with an Edelbrock 600CFM carb on a 1970 340 block. Stock heads, stock exhaust manifolds.
Thanks for the input.
darius

It all depends on how stock your car is, and how stock you want to keep it. A lot of guys swear by he air-gap manifold for good performance.

I'm happy staying pretty much stock, I don't race it and don't plan to. It runs real fine with the set up it has, I was just wondering since I am going to have to dig in, is there something I might do or be looking for while I'm at it.

Sounds like it will need to be drilled out and Heli-coiled. The LD4B is a good manifold but its actually a 318 intake and has small ports. Not really a big deal if your not looking for every once of power. It would be worse in my opinion to run a 360 port intake on 318 heads and its done all the time.

If you decide to replace the intake The RPM and RPM AirGap are hard to beat but the old LD340 ( That the 340/360 Version of your LD4B) and even the stock 340 intake are good choices.

I'm with Adam on that. The car will actually bennifit since it is a 340 and has a decent cam for the aera with a RPM (either style) or the older LD340. For max all around driving performance, use a regular RPM with the heat cross over in it.

Thanks Sleeper
Wait till you see it with it's new shoes! 15x7" ralleys with chrome rings and dark grey hubs. Goodrich radial T/A's 225/60 15!!!!!! It looks a little "meaner" now.
If I can just get it running again I will pull it out of the garage and get some pics up!

Not trying to hijack...but is there a difference in the 340 intake manifolds(stock ones) meaning a difference between a 68-72 and a 73 340 intake.. I STILL have the 340 stock intake but right now its got a Edelbrock Performer on it(no not the RPM)...would there be a difference between the stock intake for the 73 and the Edelbrock Performer? I also have a guy that I know that has a LD4B in his workshop he has had it for years and may(no idea) let it go cheap since he does not even have a car anymore....sorry to semi hijack but ive been wondering this question Darius posted for a while....and him posting this got my mind working again.

68-70 are squarebore like the one in the link I posted.
71 and up are spreadbore for the Thermoquad carbs.

A stock 340/360 intake is probably better then the Performer bacause they have larger ports. The Performer intake I think has the small 318 port size like the LB4B has.

If I had the choice between a Performer and a stock iron 340 intake I would run the stock one. However your stock 73 intake wont work with a edelbrock or Holley carb without an adapter.

I bet the LD4B out flows the Performer also.

-
Back