340 J heads

-

superbirdrag

Reaction score
my friend has a 318 with J heads on it . How can you tell if they are 1:88 or 2:02 intake valves with out takeing the heads off .

If you had a bore scope and could get it turned to see the intake valve next to the exhaust valve you may be able to tell

The care part is the price you pay for them , it’s crazy , pull them off and they are 2:02 they cost more and then you have to pay for new gaskets to put it back together, it sucks both ways

For a performance build, I’d rather start with the 1.88 heads and open them up for bigger valves myself than start with used up factory 2.02 heads.

For a performance build, I’d rather start with the 1.88 heads and open them up for bigger valves myself than start with used up factory 2.02 heads.
Yep. If the seats are shot it's easier to go to a bigger valve. 2.08's on a 318 probably not recommended. I know you can have hardened seats installed. I have also seen quite a few fall out and cause a lot of damage.

what PRH said
big chambers for a 318
drive it- be happy till you have to rebuild
what's your compression?

Not sure how they will act on a 318. Mine were on a 360 van motor I put in a 74 dart sport. We were working with a next to nothing budget, so we cut .120 off of them yup 0.120 to get the compression up to 9 to 1. I wouldn't advise it, we then had to cut the intake to match. anyway they had 1.88s in them, we ported the heads did a valve job on those 1.88s, match ported the tunnel ram, stuck 2 650s on it, came down on the jet size a little and with a very streetable 3500 converter and a relatively small cam it ran in the high 7s on the 1/8. we did have to shim up the stock rocker arm shafts with housing duct work material. lol the things we did when we were broke but still wanted to race, had a 68 bronco 9 inch which was great,set up 2 carriers 4.88 for the track and 4.10 for the street. could not afford a detroit locker or a spool so you guessed it, got out the stick welder ran points for 3 years never had any rearend problems, it was fun listening to it chirp going around a tight turn with street tires on it. that's what was so cool the car was so consistant on the track but it was a animal on the street with the 4.10 under it. If some of those guys had any idea they were getting outrun by a 600 dollar ram van motor they would have just called me a liar. But I digress my point is the 1.88s are great for making torque, and Ronnie Sox once told me that torque wins races, but so did Jim Butler if anyone follows the Pontiac scene.

-
Back