340 lifter noise

-

70orangeswinger

Reaction score
I recently bought a 68 340 dart that had been sitting for several years. It ran fine but had a slight lifter tick at idle so i replaced the lifters. The cam showed no signs at all of wear so I didn't see a problem. I bought the lifters at NAPA and bled them out before installation. My problem is, when I start the engine after it has sat for even a day, The lifters clatter for a few seconds and then shut right up. The motor runs great after that, any ideas?:eek:ops:

Just another thought here, what oil filter do you have? Try changing it and see if that cures the problem.

could be a number of things. low oil pressure. rocker arm or shaft wear. or a combination of 30 weight oil and low oil pressure and worn rockers and/or shafts. story: i bought a charger, 65,000 miles, 360 4 barrel. had not ran in 8 years. messed with it , got it running, drove it home. it had lifter tick from the get go. changed the oil, new filter yada yada, still ticking. new cam/lifters/oil pump, still had a tick tick. got me a set of used rockers arms and shafts from a junkyard 360, BAM no more tick. factory rocker arms will wear to the point that they actually create a valve lash until the lifters pump up. and if they are really bad, the tick never goes away

It's all the same chinese crapola. Comp cams buy them, napa buys them, sometimes clevites are good. Lunati seems to have good ones.

-
Back