340 main bearings

-

EMPennell

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Eryn Pennell and I was hoping I could get some clarification on my 340. This is my first post so go easy on me.

I inherited my dad’s 66 valiant 340 and am in the process or rebuilding a new 340. Ive never built a 340, but have built a few engines before.

While taking the engine in the car apart I noticed there are upper main bearings on both sides of the crank in #1, 2, 4, 5. The only lower bearing was #3 thrust. Is that normal for these motors?

Thanks!
EP

IMG_8586.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8585.jpeg

Why is the thrust bearing not fully grooved in the center or have I forgot

Why is the thrust bearing not fully grooved in the center or have I forgot

I never nailed down an answer for that. The closet I ever heard was Chrysler called out the thrust main on the 340 bearings only have a half groove for some reason I have long forgotten.

If you get the bearings called out for a 318 all the mains will be grooved. Why that is I haven’t the foggiest notion.

Now that I type that out I may have that backwards. It might be the 340 bearings with a full groove thrust. Either way that’s how I remember it.

Even thought the dimensions are the same they call out different part numbers for 318 and 340 bearings.

the clevite 318 mains fit, number is ms 1344P, all bearings are full grooved

-
Back