340 Max HP Potential with X/J heads?

-
The one thing that Cast Iron will never be is Aluminum and that is based off of having the ability to repair it..... Things happen and if you go sink alot of time and effort into Cast Iron heads leave no doubt there is power to be made but if you ever have an issue such as scorching a head you have a boat anchor...... And that's where the train stops for me. I have been there and done that. Never again on a performance application if I can help it....

JW

Stock J heads vs OOTB RPMs on your combo will be a big difference. That being said both heads are too small to really let that motor run to its potential. With the stock J heads that thing will be done very early. Now with mild to moderate competent porting the J heads will run with the RPMs, and heavily ported will run even better.
Depends on the final port volume, that's fact.

I ran mine to 6900 today and popped both R/L bank head gaskets at barona 1/8. Nothing but fun.

The one thing that Cast Iron will never be is Aluminum and that is based off of having the ability to repair it..... Things happen and if you go sink alot of time and effort into Cast Iron heads leave no doubt there is power to be made but if you ever have an issue such as scorching a head you have a boat anchor...... And that's where the train stops for me. I have been there and done that. Never again on a performance application if I can help it....

JW
You just tap and plug, drill overlapping on that plug, tap and plug . 2 plugs overlapped for heat cracks between cylinders.

You just tap and plug, drill overlapping on that plug, tap and plug . 2 plugs overlapped for heat cracks between cylinders.

Anything can be repaired sure.... I am just thinking in practicality.... This summer we scorched a head on a grudge car I help with. Head was fixed no problem and no issues since....

The other thing that I think about is getting someone with porting knowledge to actually work a set of cast-iron heads these days. I have no idea as to if this is even a consideration but working with aluminum is easier and safer...

JW

-
Back