340 Oiling Question

-

yangiant51

Reaction score
Been a while since I've worked on the motor. I just finished changing the X-heads with another set that have the unleaded exhaust valve guides, put in a new comps cam and new Air Gap intake. I went to prime the motor- the priming tool shaft on the end of the drill- and the driver-side head and rockers are priming fine with oil, but the passenger side is dry?????? I tried turning the motor over by hand 90 degrees and then 180 degrees, but still nothing out of the passenger side????? WHAT GIVES? Anyone know what is wrong? I checked to make sure that the rocker shaft holes are facing down and that the 'notch' in the shaft is down. I'm stumped- don't want to fire this thing with the passenger head and valve gear dry.

What do you think?

Please Help!

Thanks, Joe

Being the oiling hole in the cam is just that, a hole, it will need to be just in the right spot for the rockers to get oil. It would be better if you could turn the motor over while the pump is running then you will hit it dead on.

Chuck

rotate the crank thru 720* as the pump is pumping - the oiling holes in the cam line up at something like 61* to feed the one rocker shaft and and 239* of cam rotation for the other. One person in steps can do it - but two people make it a lot easier.

Thanks for the replies guys!

388 Dart- I don't have any timing degree tape on my damper anymore, so I don't think I can use your method.

340 Mopar- I'm by myself here right now- will have to wait later for some help to have someone turn the key while I run the drill.

Never ran into this before :(

Joe

I'm usually by myself also that is why I don't even bother with getting oil to the rockers. I lube them up on assembly and just run the drill to lube the bottom end and call it good, then I light it. But you should wait if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Chuck

-
Back