340 Oiling system

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
Any of you out there that have "tubed" your 340's to improve oiling prioritization? Any guidance on this is helpful as I am considering it for my 70 swinger project car.

unless its a serious max race effort, I wouldnt, just cleaning up the passages, porting the oil pump and rear main cap, really is enough...

Plans are for a dart swinger street car. Have had problems before with 340's and oil distribution and read this might be a good approach to cure.

The mods replicaracer43 mentioned would be more than enough for improving efficiency.
But if you've had oiling problems in a performance street car, the issues are not with the OEM oiling system design.

I did it once in a W-2 340 or 360 with solid lifters and ran it to 7,200. (Actually ran just as well at 6,800.) But it was a PITA and I would never do it again! Subsequent small blocks were fine without the mod.

"Oil prioritization". <rolls eyes> No offense meant but honestly, put down all the tech books. If you've had trouble in the past with street engines, rest assured it was not the oiling system's fault. Although there are plenty of oiling mods you can do regarding road race, drag race, high rpm and such, for a street engine, the oiling system in a Mopar......any of them is more than adaquate. Do what you want to with it, but seriously, if you do much more than maybe smoothing and some depurring here and there, you're wasting your time. The oiling system is good. Where do these rumors start?

The mods replicaracer43 mentioned would be more than enough for improving efficiency.
But if you've had oiling problems in a performance street car, the issues are not with the OEM oiling system design.

I did it once in a W-2 340 or 360 with solid lifters and ran it to 7,200. (Actually ran just as well at 6,800.) But it was a PITA and I would never do it again! Subsequent small blocks were fine without the mod.

Preach on brother.

-
Back