340 or 360?

-

'71cali-dart

Reaction score
im considering putting a crate motor in my 71 Dart either a 340 or a 360, which way should i lean?

well my car currently has a 318, and im just looking for a little more. its a stock motor, other than intake and carb, that has had little work done to it. im just trying to plan ahead, for when i may run into some problem in the future.
ive always been a 340 fan, but as u said they are more cash.

Either will work for ya' a used 360 will be cheaper thats for sure,find one and have it built to your specs...I wouldn't trust anyones crate(crap) motor seen/ heard enough negative stuff to stay away from them..besides when you have it done you know exactely whats going in it and whos doing it,i have 1 shop do my machine work and only one guy assembling,i supply just about all the parts..it gives me great peace of mind..:-D:-D

Myself I favor the 340 know in the 60 and 70 as the little hemi.

I have heard people say that before and can not for the life of me figure out why they say that since there is NOTHING in common with the small block and the big block HEMI.

OH, your answer.... 360

If you are looking to clone a 340 a body you could always do what I am going to do-build a 360 for less and say it is a 340. Unless you do a magnum with magnum valve covers , at first glance most people won't know the difference.
20 cubic inches doesn't sound like that much more but you would be looking at 20-30 more horses which translates to 2 to 3 tenths quicker.

The biggest gain between the two engines when going to a 360 is torque. The longer stroke produces more of it. The bore size is a 4 incher, plenty of size but a bit shy to the 4.04 of the 340. Most engine rebuilds go .030 anyways.

More torque ='s easier get up and go. More torque earlier.
A longer stroke engine tends to have power fall off faster at the big end of the RPM scale and it often drops quickly were the shorter stroke engine hangs on to the power (HP) for a while afterwards peak power, but torque falls like a rock.

If a 340 and 360 are built identical and the cars are geared/set up correctly for the engines they would be neck and neck,the only advantage a 360 has is torque and at a lower rpm.Thats a good thing on the street with milder gears,the 340 will produce as much horsepower but at slightly higher rpms,so it comes down to what you want,as far as price the 360 is cheaper to build.

Why not a 390 stroker with 318 you have now, you get the RPMs and the Torque.... Just have your local friendly machine shop build it. Probably cost the same as a Scrote Motor

If you are going to build something and you only want a little more. Work the 318. You have a carb and intake on it already. Rebuild the bottom end with some eagle SIR rods and hypo pistons. If you wish, stroker kits are available for around $1600 that would make it 390CID. Put a nice pair of heads on it with a stage 1 port job, some roller rockers, a nice cam, and a set of headers. I built a stock displacement 318 that made 400hp at the crank and ran a 13.18 @ 104 for low bucks!!! 318s are thown away everyday and are plentifull. If you opted out of the cheapest way the 360 is the next inline. Easy to get in rebuildable or crate engine form and easy to make power with but keep in mind from the factory these engines are externaly ballanced so the correct ballancer and flexplate/torque converter must be used unless you internaly ballance it. If you really are a stickler and want a 340 you will have to build one. Finding a good core after the engine has been out of production for roughly 37 years gets to be pricey and a bit of a hassle but they are around.

In a nutshell if you are only looking for a little more power build the 318. Best bang for the buck!!!! The 360 would make more torque in stock form and there is no replacement for displacement. For the die hard I GOTTA HAVE A 340 GUY!!!! Build a 340!!!! Hope I could help!!!! Joe:toothy10:

A couple years ago, a friend of mine went to the local dealership and bought an assembled 360 Short Block for $1,200, a set of Edelbrock heads from summit for $1,300, and all the misc parts and is running 11.9's in a 72 Dart for around $3,500 in the engine.

-
Back