340 Questions

-

Macha

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the dry weight of a 340 block (bare) is, and whether they ever came with skirted cylinders? Thanks!

I am not sure what you mean by skirted cylinders, maybe you are talking about a skirted block. Meaning the main journals of the crankshaft sit completely inside the block, 6 bolt main caps in other words? If yes, that is your question, then no is my answer.

I probably should've said sleeves, rather than skirting. (I blame the boyfriend.... I thought sleeves, but he said skirting. Ah well.) Anyway, we took out the pistons and everything, and the first 2mm or so of the cylinders' surfaces are a noticeably different metal than the rest of the block. Is this something that the factory did, or has someone had this done as part of a reman or resto? Is it okay to take these back out, or grind them down? There is some pitting from rust on the insides of cylinders 1 and 3. Our only other idea about the "sleeves," if that's what they are, is that it could be an imprint from the head gaskets, but we really doubt that. It looks entirely different from the metal in the rest of the block.

Sorry for taking so long to re-post, but hopefully this helps. If I can get a good clear picture tonight, I'll post it on here.

-
Back