340 Replacement Connecting Rods Suggestions

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to choose a direction on connecting rods for my 69-340 and would appreciate
suggestions from the members here at FABO.

The build is geared towards street/strip.
69 - 340 - forged crank
10.5:1 compression (KB pistons +30)
Comp Cams XE275HL

I've read a number of posts with strong support of the Scat Connecting Rods 4340.
Is that still one of the leading rods for this application?

hi, your original rods should be the 496 rod. it s a very good rod. AR bolts installed. will last a long time.

I kept the original rods and used ARP bolts.
Good luck with the build.

Yes, Scat I-beams, very nice rods for the price (and light too). I have a set in my 410 stoker, 5 years of beating on these rods, still going strong.:D

hi, my original 496 rods had 70,000 miles plus 18 yrs of drag racing. resized and new bolts every 6 years. with TRW and cast pistons. 7000 RPM through the traps. excellent service life!!

I like the factory rods as they have oil squirt holes to lube the cylinder.

The new aftermarket ones do not. they claim that they are not needed. I'm not willing to be the guinnea pig to find out at my expense....

I prefer to get replacement rod bolts and have the stock rods reconditioned. Even though it is about $40 more than the new rods, I like my squirt holes....

I second the stock rods. They are fantastic pieces.

My stock rods need to be rebuilt and estimated to about the same cost of the replacements ($275) But its sounding like most recommend rebuilding instead of replacing. Even with the reduced weight factor you guys would prefer using the stock rods?

my assessment is this....

120 bucks to resize rods...75+ dollars for new bolts....40 yr old rod with thousands of heat cycles and abuse.....

scat I beams...brand new 4340 .......about 300 bucks...

the speedmaster H beams 4340....about 215 bucks

for a stock rebuilt....any of them will work....

but I will not use a stock rod ever in a drag racing engine....the new H and I beams are alot lighter...

My stock rods need to be rebuilt and estimated to about the same cost of the replacements ($275) But its sounding like most recommend rebuilding instead of replacing. Even with the reduced weight factor you guys would prefer using the stock rods?

No, throw the stock rods in the trash!

Scat I beams. Reduce the weight for quicker revs and less stress on the crank and main caps.

Thanks Guys, It looks like mixed reviews between rebuilding the stock rods or going aftermarket with Scat rods. Both directions have strong points but I am going to go in the Scat direction. I feel there is less risk with a new rod verses the unknown stress of the current rods after 65000 miles. In addition I like the gain of less weight. Thanks everyone for adding to the discussion.

Thanks Guys, It looks like mixed reviews between rebuilding the stock rods or going aftermarket with Scat rods. Both directions have strong points but I am going to go in the Scat direction. I feel there is less risk with a new rod verses the unknown stress of the current rods after 65000 miles. In addition I like the gain of less weight. Thanks everyone for adding to the discussion.

That's cool.. Good luck with the build.
Oh, and before you throw away those old rods..I'll pay to have the rods shipped to my house.:)
Send me a PM

AlV

Here's the way I see it. You cannot find a rod made in the USA for the prices you're talking about. All of them come from overseas. The metallurgy is not known to be consistent. You may get a good set. You may not. I would much rather have good steel from the 60s and 70s and rebuild them than risk any of the rods in that price range. I know there are a LOT of them out there running, but that's just my personal preference. As for the weight, how many drag racing records were made and broken with the stock rods? I don't think weight made that much difference then. In fact, I think people go overboard on it. Those stock bottom ends lasted a long time. Like I said, this is all my personal opinion.

Here's the way I see it. You cannot find a rod made in the USA for the prices you're talking about. All of them come from overseas. The metallurgy is not known to be consistent. You may get a good set. You may not. I would much rather have good steel from the 60s and 70s and rebuild them than risk any of the rods in that price range. I know there are a LOT of them out there running, but that's just my personal preference. As for the weight, how many drag racing records were made and broken with the stock rods? I don't think weight made that much difference then. In fact, I think people go overboard on it. Those stock bottom ends lasted a long time. Like I said, this is all my personal opinion.

Yes.....many drag racing record were set with stock rods....cause there was nothing else available back then....
even the 340/360 stock eliminator cars today don’t use stock rods...they use an approved aftermarket rod....

On the approved list is........

I see manley....CAT..Carrillo ..Lunati...K1....Crower....PBM PERF PRODUCTS......Eagle...TRICK FLOW SPECIALIES......out side of the standard size...6.123....984 pin....the minimum weight is 655 grams...

they got too much money in those engines to run a stock rod...

Got eagle rods in 340-.030 over.12.5-1.#7036 p sealed power pistons .rotating assembly balanced by superior machine.i remember buying them for 200 bucks from Lawrence at southern moparts so I guess there old Skool h beams.arp fasteners.full floating .990 pin and no spiral locks! Will rev&rev.even after the rings break. Lol

-
Back