340 Springs Are In !! Questions

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the XHD Mopar Performance 340 springs.
P4510268 right P4510269 left.

I have a little concern. I thought these springs sat the car flat, or level on each side. But just like the SS springs, the right side sits higher. Actually over 1" higher on the right. The motor is not in the car, so that could make some difference, but I am kind of bummed right now.
Disregard the rt exhaust,they are not hooked up.

Do any of you have these springs?

Is this how they sit?

Please let me know, so I can sleep tonight......LOL

faucet pics 408.jpg

faucet pics 411.jpg

faucet pics 409.jpg

Sounds like torsion bars are out of adjustment. Up at left front = down at right rear and so on.

I don't know jack about the springs but I do have to compliment you on that car, it is looking freakin gorgeous, more pics please,wow!

John
You're doing one HELL of a job.
I wouldn't worry about the springs until the whole car is put back together bud. A lot of things can change.
Keep it up.

George

Do what I did. I installed the battery in the trunk on the right side and the car is level now. Did this to a Charger years ago on the SS springs. And of course it puts the weight on the rear .. you know racer trick.

Type "battery relocation kit" on Summit racing. It gives you everything you need to do the job and is not that much.

Yo Johnny! That Dart is looking absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the SS springs, I believe they are designed that way (hence the two different part numbers...) so you pre-load the right rear tire so it launches straight. You *might* be able to tweak the ride height with the torsion bars, but I think dropping the battery over the r/rear tire will help more.

fastback is right...the right side is lifted more than the left. my 69 sits the same way with ss springs.

These are the XHD springs and not the SS springs. I believe they should sit better once the motor is in the car along with the gas tank, seats, engine, etc, etc.

I have the same ones in my car and it sits a bit higher. I'm hoping they sag a bit after some time and when the car is complete. Looking good Johnny.

Car looks great. The other comments on the springs make a lot of sense, too.
By all means post more photos as you go along on the project.

You need to have motor, tranny, etc... in the car. Then adjust the torsion bars. It'll be alright, I have the same ones on my Duster. Great looking work by the way.

Definately will have to see after everything is put back together.
The torsion bars havent been touched, and were adjusted perfectly before the motor was pulled, so that rules them out.

These are not SS springs. These are XHD 340 springs.
Was hoping for them to be more level in the back. I will call the spring manufacturer and see if this is how they are suppose to sit.
Wasnt looking for the "stink bug" look the SS springs give you.

Red Fish is dead on. I was having the same problem with my ESPO springs and thought it may have been a weel leaf or two in the drivers spring. It was about an inch, not quite though. I let it ride. THEN yesteday, me and the wife noticed the whole car seem to be tilted to one side. She was even like WTF is that all about.

I got home, took some measurements and found nearly 1-1/2 at the rear height and a similar spec up front!

After jacking the car up and down a few times I got the front ride height at 26-1/8 on each side. The rear sits level now.

OH, the car look awesome dude!

Everything needs to be in where it goes before you set up the ride heigth. Nothing is centered, driveline, gas tank, nothing. Having said that I gotta ask if it was a slant6 that you pulled ? That \ makes even more difference in the torsion bar settings.

Originally 318 car.........

No disrespect here to anyone, I understand the suspension on a A-body and when to adjust it,this isnt my first build.Again no disrespect to anybody.

My question is for those who have used these springs (XHD mopar performance)if they were higher on the right side?

These are suppose to be factory 340 springs (replica).

I was under the impression that the car would sit level with these springs.

Again I understand that the car will sit totally different when everything is in.

Thanks for your help.

Originally 318 car.........

No disrespect here to anyone, I understand the suspension on a A-body and when to adjust it,this isnt my first build.Again no disrespect to anybody.
I don't think anybody took it that way.

My question is for those who have used these springs (XHD mopar performance)if they were higher on the right side?
Uh-huh, Well, OK, I have not used the MP XHD "A" body springs. I have used the E body OE XHD springs. Back to A bodies.....

These are suppose to be factory 340 springs (replica).
Not to my understanding. Were they writin up / described this way?

I was under the impression that the car would sit level with these springs.
Front to rear level and side to side it should. The OE's should and so should the XHD if there advertised that way, as OE replacements.

Your looking for the car to sit just like it did from the factory. I get it.

Thanks for your help.

That's what we love to do.

Rumble,

This is how they describe these springs.

XHD Leaf Springs-Original Equipment.

These extra heavy duty springs are just like the bias design production springs that were stock items on 1968-1972 A-body vehicles with 340 high performance engine.
P4510268 right
P4510269 left.

I actually went out and measured again, and the right side is 3/4" higher.
Everything should settle fine after the car is together.

Thanks for everybody's help.
John

The words "Just like" are ofeten used wrongly or in a loose description. Some places will use it instead of Exactly like or same height as etc.

I think it'll great when all is said and done.

yes my right side set higher at first, I also thought it set up too high so I blocked it and adjusted the torsion bars with the motor and tranny in it. there is a difference in the driver vs. passenger spring.

count the leafs. you minght find that one side has more, my dart is the same way. AS you guys said SS.

I put stock replacement 340 springs from ESPO on my car and I didn't notice any difference in height side to side. But my car was all together when I replaced the springs. Like others said once its together you'll be able to adjust it out with the torsion bars to get it level. I don't think it will be hard to adjust out 3/4" once the engine/trans are installed.

One thing I did notice is my springs were very stiff when new and the leafs don't "slide" well until after its driven for a while. I wonder if the one side is just sticking a little? Both my original 340 springs and the replacement springs had the same number of leafs on each side too.

shrunkfinishedunder.jpg

Ok....

First. The Mopar XHD 340 springs ARE NOT reproductions of the original springs. What they are, are stock replacement springs.

The original 340 springs have 6 leafs

The Mopar XHD springs have 5 (but each is thicker).

I replaced the original 6 leaf springs in my 60,000 mile, 340, Formula S with the Mopar XHD 340 springs.

YES the pass side did sit higher, and YES I did adjust the front to level the car out.

At first I installed the springs with the front hanger in the stock location. It was still higher on the pass side (and higher over all in back, as it should have been). I flipped the front hanger to get the lower ride hight I was after.

My car with Mopar XHD springs (front rear hanger flipped)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0076.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0077.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0078.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0081.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0079.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/vonbek68/IMG_0080.jpg

it is odd how thoes springs work, right side higher.So when the driver gets in no passenger,the left side should drop how much depends on our weight.that would be more of a drop.

-
Back