340 spun bearing rebuild.

-

1968notch

Too many projects, not enough time/$$$
Reaction score
Wassup??!!??

I have a 1972 (I think) 340 block. May be a replacement, will get more detaills later. I bought i knowing full well that it had a spun #4 main bearing. I bought it for $500.00. Judging from the pics and from now my personal possession that the bearings only went around once. The surfaces seem like a fingernail barely catches.

The other ciool thing about this block is that it's @ standard bore 4.040.... Did I **** up with this buy or am I right on track???

Paul.

Somebody saw you comin. I got some Georgia red clay I will sell you for 1000 bucks a pound. It's real purdy too.

Seriously, hopefully it will clean up with a simple line hone. That's a mighty high price for a 340 block in good condition, much less one with a spun bearing. Jes sayin.

Somebody saw you comin. I got some Georgia red clay I will sell you for 1000 bucks a pound. It's real purdy too.

Seriously, hopefully it will clean up with a simple line hone. That's a mighty high price for a 340 block in good condition, much less one with a spun bearing. Jes sayin.

I agree, I'm glad you, Rusty were the first to reply. However, even a full line bore, and not just a hone, should clean it up. Now, what that means as far as timing chain issues (like cloyes v10 under issues, i can live with those issues).

Should I be concerened about fedral-mogougal 23330P 030. moving too far up on a set of clean to .005 clean-up *( my plans and curren possesions)... 915 j-heads?

Thanks,

Paul

If you get a "competent" machine shop, it will mean nothing as far as the timing chain. A good shop can align hone or bore and either not move the crank bore at all or very, very little. the proper way is to remove material from the mating surfaces of the main caps, reinstall them and then align bore it so that the bore removes more material from the caps and barely skims the block. This will rarely move the center line of the crank bore.

-
Back