340 Start Problem

-

rebelcaptain

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 71 340 Duster. It is showroom. 52k miles.
Recently, I have noticed a starting problem, only after the car has been sitting for a week or more. I have a hi-torq starter that turns the motor well. I checked that the carb [new Quick Fuel, but my Carter TQ 9800 did the same] is pumping gas, which it does. I have to pour a small amount of gas into the carb to get it going.
Once it is running and warmed up, it also has a hesitation to get the car rolling, [have to give it extra fuel to get RPM up] but runs strong from that.
Suspect: ?
Distributor [Mopar electronic ignition -30+ yrs old] - new chrome box
Coil- Excel Super Coil -25+ yrs old
Manifold - LD340 [possible small leak]
Head gasket - exhaust seams clean & no oil in radiator

you can see gas coming out of the accelerator pump squirters went you move the throttle blades?

Todays gas will evaporate from the fuel bowl in a few days...

Todays gas will evaporate from the fuel bowl in a few days...

Its normal with today's gas to have to crank and crank and crank after the car has sat a few days. The modern gas evaporates out of the carburetor. You have to crank to get the carb bowls filled back up. If its sat a few days pump the gas peddle so when fuel gets in the bowls the accelerator pump will squirt it in the carb to fire it up.

I have seen gas squirt from accelerator pedal, but still hard to start.
I have considered gas evaporating.
However, I do notice a distinct hesitation . . . even afre the car is warmed up . . . upon getting the car moving.
I was wondering if there might be a connection.

Its a brand new carb [quick fuel] my carter TQ did the same thing.
Fuel pressure gauge reads OK.
New 8mm wires, too.
I am going to carefully inspect the distributor cap and rotor and switch out the control box.
Is there any reason not to use the chrome box?

Look real close at the accelerator pump it must squirt immediatly not in a little while but as soon as throttle linkage moves or you will have trouble. I converted over to the trailbeast hei and have great cold and hot starts, I couldnt believe the diffrence.

-
Back