340 swinger z bar installation

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
Hey all - the continuing saga of my 70 dart rebuild now has me trying to install the z bar assembly. I purchased an installation kit but it seems the z bar is about 2" too short. I see an offset ball stud bracket but it is identified as a Big Block part, I'm installing a 340 into what was a 6 cylinder 70 swinger. Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Trying to get this running before the snow flies. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

68-71 A body kit. I believe if your using a later O/D bellhousing that this bellhousing mounted ball stud bracket will be different.

Screenshot_20190902-141200_eBay.jpg

Hey all - the continuing saga of my 70 dart rebuild now has me trying to install the z bar assembly. I purchased an installation kit but it seems the z bar is about 2" too short. I see an offset ball stud bracket but it is identified as a Big Block part, I'm installing a 340 into what was a 6 cylinder 70 swinger. Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Trying to get this running before the snow flies. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
ball stud bracket mounted like this ?
IMG_0063.JPG

Is it an aluminum bell housing for an OD trans, or a 72 up bellhousing?? If so I believe its gonna require a different ball stud bracket. Pix of 72 up bracket.

Screenshot_20190902-144244_eBay.jpg

Is it possible your zee bar is too short? I used the z bar from my 67 cuda slant 6 car when doing a V8 4 speed swap. Had to cut the bar shorter on the bellhousing side to fit the small block V8. There are also 3 A body zee bars. Slant 6 , small block, and big block.

Is it possible your zee bar is too short? I used the z bar from my 67 cuda slant 6 car when doing a V8 4 speed swap. Had to cut the bar shorter on the bellhousing side to fit the small block V8. There are also 3 A body zee bars. Slant 6 , small block, and big block.
How far from your bellhousing to the frame? Im measuring 9" and my zbar is 7"

Just for clarity, I have a 70 swinger, was a slant six and going to be a 340. Aluminum bellhousing, dont know what it is from and z-bar is 7" long. Gap from frame to bellhousing appears to be about 9".

How far from your bellhousing to the frame? Im measuring 9" and my zbar is 7"
if your bracket bolts on the bell housing it should be correct. z bar is 7", the z bar when installed properly will be a 1" away from the bell housing, and the z bar will be locked on the outer ball stud when you install that clip in the groove of the nylon bearing, z bar will be about 3/4 out from the inner fender.

My zee bar is 7&1/8" long. I cut down a slanty one. My frame mounting point in inner fender to bellhousing is 8&3/4" heres pix as installed. Your dimensions are about right. The bar cannot be shoved all the way inside the inner ball stud. There has to be some space for relative movement when motor torques over from driving.

20190902_150500.jpg

20190902_150513.jpg

Last edited:
if your bracket bolts on the bell housing it should be correct. z bar is 7", the z bar when installed properly will be a 1" away from the bell housing, and the z bar will be locked on the outer ball stud when you install that clip in the groove of the nylon bearing, z bar will be about 3/4 out from the inner fender.
and if the car was not a standard trans, make sure you reinforce the inner fender were the ball stud goes through the hole.
s-l1600 (4).jpg

and if the car was not a standard trans, make sure you reinforce the inner fender were the ball stud goes through the hole.View attachment 1715388446
just another tip attach the inner fender ball stud in the z bar and lock it in, then install ball stud bracket in z bar and swing it up in place then bolt the bracket to the trans. its hard to get the clip in if you do the bracket to the trans first.

You put the ball stud and nylon setup w the wire clip on the fender side onto the bar first, slide the engine side stud w its bushings and rubber seal all the way into the bar. Then fit the bar to the fender with the lock washer and nut. Then attach the engine side to the trans bell housing.

Dont forget to grease everything well before install I am going to drill a hole in my bar where it's got easy access from underneath, and add a grease fitting to it like my old 71 Chevy pickup had. Just pump the bar full of ball joint grease lol.

Awesome support everyone, thanks for the information. One step closer to burning fossil fuels.

-
Back