340 ticks at idle...

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
I have recently retimed my 69 Cuda 340 after I had to replace the "chrome box" and found out the distibutor bolt was loose as all get out.

I have a tick at idle that goes away if I bring up the RPM's. I have not attached a vacuum gauge to the car yet, but I was wondering where members would start.

Plugs were recently changed, wires are all good, new chrome box, ballast resistor, the whole nine. Idle is set at about 900 RPMs and the 340 was supposedly "warmed up" with a purple cam, but it is not overly lopey. Other than that, the engine is stock as a rock from the carb to the exhaust manifolds.

I do not want to pay for something that I can do myself, I just need some advice before pouring over the FSM.

Get a chunk of hose and listen around. Down around the fuel pump, around the valve covers, and in the ports on the covers Look for any exhaust leaks, so probe the hose around the manifolds / headers. Don't disregard the heat riser butterfly if you have one, or a leak at the EGR if you have one.

I have a tick also, mine is on pass side, listened to it with a stethascope, pretty sure I have a header leak, maybe you do too??

When was the last time valve lash/preload was checked?
That's where I would start looking.

-
Back