340 timing chain cover leak

-

T-Man700

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had a gasket leak after using a paper gasket so I bought both timing chain and water pump gaskets from Superformance Products. These are their MP-15 rubberized gaskets that are supposed to be reusable. Guess I can't use RTV or anything like it. Heard you just use silicone grease. Think I may have caused the leak after pulling and reinstalling 4 long bolts and 2 short (one at a time) at a later date. That's when I installed the motor and attached the A/C compressor, Alt. and power steering pump. What experience have you guys had with using Superformance gaskets?

100_2213.JPG

I have had good experience with Superformance products.
As far as your timing cover leak, did you use sealant/RTV on the bolt threads before reusing them? Some of those bolts go into the water jacket and can/will seep or leak if they're not sealed. Also closely inspect the coolant passages in the timing cover, the aluminum can corrode to the point where it's leaking through the cover itself.

Yes, did put RTV on the bolts and think the cover looked good but will recheck that again for sure.
So to be clear, no RTV on these gaskets?

I have had fantastic results with Superformance Products. If it turns out to be the gasket give him a call. He is a great guy, just lives right down the road from me.

Last edited:
Great but I would to know about these gaskets. Lol

Do I or do I not slap some kind of crap on them?

Better yet maybe I’ll just call Superformance. The wife never could understand why I never read the directions.

As Andy Griffith once said, “Just call the man, Aunt Bea”.

You best stop the Mayberry jokes and really pay attention to post #5.

Those bolts didn’t bottom out. I for sure checked that out and torqued properly. The leak was left side towards the top but I will check again. Thanks

Called Superformance Products today (super nice people) and they gave me good advice. No RTV glue or anything just maybe some wheel bearing grease, silicone grease to allow to align bolt holes. He said he has a race car with a badly pitted cover and it still sealed with this gasket. My first mopar restoration and many times impressed with the good people in this industry.

-
Back