340 vrs 360

-

j340swinger

Reaction score
i have a 69 340 swinger no motor. i was just wondering what people think of putting a 360 in it. the reason is well bigger and i think that a 360 would be easier to find out of an old truck or bus. and suggestions anyone know where to get eather one of these motors. i saw crate motors but i want to rebuild it my way. i am in sc and if someone close has got a motor let me know thanks

I would use which ever I found first at a reasonable price. The car may be worth a few bucks more to some with a 340 in it though.

depends what you want fromt he car. resale the 340 will bring more money because the oldheads think the 340 is so great. if your not worried about resale then go with the 360. they are cheaper to buy ( except for a rare deal on a 340), start off with more cubes,and you can get any thing you want for it these days. i say leave the 340 for the resto guys and build a 360. i would go with a roller 360 too.:).

Right now it looks like I may have a 340 to sell from a 69 swinger. I was trying to sell the whole car and I got nothing.$800 but it is disassembled.Complete engine. PM me if interested
Furyus2

360's are cheaper, easier to find, and can make as much or more power than a 340 when built with the 2.02 valves. 2.02's can be put into any 340/360 head and ported.
The 360 has more stroke than the "B" blocks 3.375 vs 3.58. The longer stroke of the 360 gives it more torque than the 340. Put in 9.5 compression, 260 -280 duration cam and a nice dual plane manifold, and let her rip... (for a nice street motor)

The same recipie will work for a 340 also. Use whichever one that you can find at a price that you can afford. Either one will get a little light A body to scoot...

BTW, I just became the proud owner of (what I believe to be virgin) 69 340 manual trans engine. Carb to oil pan, no trans. I will post the VIN number soon in the Mechanical section in attempt to find if someone has the original car that it came out of. I will offer it only to the person that has the original car for what I have into it to try to reunite the engine with the original car (they must prove that they have the original car). Otherwise, I will keep it and build it for a future project.

What's the main use for the car? This 'oldhead' says to grab a 318 and put a turbo on it!

I guess it just depends on the money you want to spend and how "correct" you want to be.

The engine I just installed in my 67 is a 360/ 727 I got out of a junk van for 350 bucks!!

I did a 360 a 67 cuda, cost less than $1800 to build (including machine work) and was a great street motor. I will be build a similar one for my 65 dart.

340 if you can find one, but as said, you'll be spending 600-800 just for a used worn out motor that ull have to rebuild...when u can almost get a rebuildable 360 for 100 or so...

"Nice car. Does it have a 340 in it?"
"Yes"
"Cool"

"Nah, it's a 360."
"Oh."

Depends on what you want to do with it.

If it was a real 340 car, that would probably sway me to the 340, unless you're really chasing timeslips.

Then I'd do a 360, and like abodyjoe says get a roller motor, or a 5.9 Magnum (which is roller also and you might not have to rebuild the shortblock).

Of course, I too happen to be selling a '69 disassembled 340 engine. LOL

"Yes"
"Cool"

"Nah, it's a 360."
"Oh."

1) thats obviously asked and replied to by an idiot. so it really doesn't matter what that reply is.

2) its easy enough to paint a 360 to look just like a 340 so said idiot wouldn't know the difference anyway.

"Yes"
"Cool"

"Nah, it's a 360."
"Oh."

Do you think the average onlooker will know the difference between the 340 & 360?
I doubt it.
Use the 360 & mark it as a 340.
I used to be a DIEHARD 340 guy, until I built my first 360.

Slant six

Call up Erson for a cam, find a set of clifford two peice headers on ebag or hit summit for some hooker super comps, go on ebag and get a clifford 4 barrel intake or find an offy on ebag or summit, get a holley 390 with vaccum secondaries to slap on top. Take your head, gasket match all the ports on the manifold and the head, do a multi-angle valve job and use 1.70" intake valves and 1.40" exhaust valves. CC the head and mill the block intill you achieve a 10:1 compression ratio. Build the short block with a Weisco 198 long rod k-1 combo and one of Doug Dutra's trick oil pumps. If you wanna run regular pump gas, use a water methonal injection kit to up your octane. Upgrade the ignition to a '73 spec electonic model, use the orange box and a petronix high fire II coil. Run NGK plugs from a 1999 intrepid, remove the medal washer off the plug first. set your gap to .040". On the Exhaust side, run a full 2-1/4" dual exhaust with an x-pipe and your choice of mufflers.

All in all, probably about two thousand dollars more than a 340 or 360,just as fast, more fuel efficent and much more impressive when you pop the hood...

All in all, probably about two thousand dollars more than a 340 or 360,just as fast,
lol. for an extra 2K i want something faster not "just as fast".

hell take a long time to get that 2K back in gas mileage.

and you would still have to deal with that awful fart sound coming from that slannty. may as well go get a honda and get really good mileage..

360's are cheaper and more plentiful. Go with the 360, and be happy that you still got a really cool car. :thumbup:

ROTFLMAO

Boy there certainly are some touchy 360 guys in here.

The 360 is a good little motor. Plenty of them out there and cheap. You can spend a little bit of $ to make them go a little bit faster or you can spend a lot more $$ to make 'em go a lot more faster if that's what you want to do.

In all of my Mopar days, most gearheads have expressed an appreciation for a 340 car with a genuine 340 motor in it. Yes, you can dress up something else to look like a 340 but it is still not a 340. That's why an "idiot" sometimes asks the question. It is just for the "cool" factor.

I bought my genuine 1971 340 Duster with intention of pulling the 318 that now resides in the engine bay and stabbing in a 5.7 Hemi. I have had a lot of requests by my gearhead friends to find a 340 and put it in so the the car is "complete" or "cool". Not one of them said "hey! Stab a 360 in it." They all said something to the affect of "you can put a 5.7 or a 360 in anything but a 340 car should have a 340 in it."

So, please calm down you 360ers. You have a fast motor. Be happy!

I have a 69 340 Swinger also and have thought about picking up a 360 to use in place of the original motor. I guess my point of view is it's your car. Put what u want in it. 340's do have a cool factor to them but performance wise the 360 is basically an updated 340 with a longer stroke.

-
Back