340 X Heads in trouble

-

Orange67Dart

Reaction score
Hello. I just recieved some troubling news from my engine builder. The X heads on my 340 were ported clear into the pushrod holes and then repaired with epoxy. Can they be saved, or are they ready for the furnace?

In all my past experience, that means they're done! That being said, by the time you find another set, get them rebuilt. You're better off getting either a set of RHS heads or Eddy heads, which will out flow X-Heads (this applies to the 2.02/1.60 J-Heads as well).

I'd keep 'em....I thought I heard that that's not so uncommon to use epoxy to repair "overzealous" port jobs. Maybe they can press some tubes in there, who knows. I know, lotta work.

It's very common to fill that pushrod hole or tube it, and then expand the port and use an offset rocker. As long as a good quality epoxy is used, and it's done properly, there is no problem with it.

repaired mine with epoxy a very long time ago ( 10 years roughly)
no problems at all

I have read articles to where these before mentioned repairs were made, should still be ok

I guess people have had better experiences then me on repairs of this nature. I lost a motor due to that repair. Although it turned out okay in the end because the shop that did the repair built me a brand new motor to make me happy. Can't ***** about that.

Epoxy a brass tube in there and port that puppy until the wall turns color, you know you are close!

Well......it looks like Edelbrocks will be the solution. Any suggestions on the Swiss cheese X heads? I could use them for wheel chocks.:laughing:

Dual boat anchors is what you can use them for. However if one of them is still good, sell just that one

tubes and Manley epoxy. Done it on my pump gas steet motor ran them for a cuople of years. Just make sure you clean with brake clean and let epoxy dry a day or two.

If you want to sell them let me know. I'm looking for some heads and may try experimenting with them.

I am closer so shipping will not be that much.
In return I will ship you a very wild-ported "J" head and it will let you know how far you can go.

I can get you the name of the epoxy that works! Its only good on the intake side and wont hold up to Alcohol. IIRC Its made by valspar.
my B1 head in sheetmetal intake have had no
issues with it

Put 'em over the back right wheel for weight distribution..Keep it ALL Mopar! Seriously, they still have value. Remember the TA heads? Fill 'em and drill em! I saw a kit that made Chevy heads into SOHC heads at San Diego swap meet about 10 years ago. dont know what it included, but it has special valve covers and 2 big pulleys...

Epoxy a brass tube in there and port that puppy until the wall turns color, you know you are close!

You mean like this?
RSCN1752.jpg

And this!

DSCN1754.jpg

I have seen people use Epoxy on the flow bench just to make a head flow better in certain spots ( Intake runners only ), I think its safe to do.

Joe

Atta boy! Sometimes the aluminum walls turn blue before they break through, but that the way to do it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll be glad to have this engine back together and running. This whole thing has gotten a bit out of hand. I wasn't expecting to have to do so much to a running vehicle when I bought it a couple of months ago. It all started with noticing the excess end play in the crank. Unfortunately I didn't see it when I was first looking the car over. Plus it just sounded too good when it was running to suspect a major problem. I want to think the guy selling it didn't know either. I hope to make a final decision on heads this weekend. There are some good deals out there. How are the Aero head racing products? Thanks again.

Nice job there Mr. Cudafever. Nice.

Thanks!:D

That copper tubing is just plan old house copper tubing, I thin wall tubing might be a better idea but.......

I just sanded the tube, smeared it with epoxy and tapped it in.
then i found a steel marble the right side and pressed it thru the tube.
Got a much larger ball and swelled each end of the tube, hoping it will help on push rod clearance.

-
Back