349cui build up

-

Wedgy

Reaction score
Hi together,

I am building a new engine for my 1970 dart.
Now some questions comming in my mind. What will be the best head and cam Combo for my application.
Here are the facts:
- like to get 13.5sec in the quarter
- car is street driven and will see the strip 4-5 times the year

- 3.55:1 rear gear
- 727 with shift kit and 2500stall mopar converter
- 318 .06" over
- cast piston 8.4:1 truck sluts (have to cut valve reliefs)
- 3.51" stroke mopar performance forged crank
- windage tray
- performer rpm intake with 1/2" plenum devider Cut down / alernative a China crosswind airgap

I currently have the following parts laying around:
- portet 340 x heads with 2.02" / 1.60"
- ede heads from hughes with 2.02" / 1.60"
- comp XE274H ( http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=628&sb=2 )
- crower 31320 ( http://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-273-360-la-pro-street-solid-cam-278-fdp.html )
- stock sheet rockers, 1.5 and 1.6 roller rockers

What do you think about the best combo?

Thanks for help

Martin

What's a "truck slut"? Sounds interesting.

I am now an opponent of cast pistons- recommend against them

Keith Black has a bunch of different offerings in hypereutectic-maybe speed pro or someone else does -> the guys on this board have often recommended one of KB's competitor's in reguards to heavy duty hyper-eutectic pistons

am interested in this build as i picked up one of these cranks a few years back

So how far are these pistons going to pop out of the bore going from a 3.31 to a 3.51 stroke.

Cutting valve relieves in a stock cast piston.......It might be cheaper to by some new piston.?

What compression ratio are you shooting for?

May need more stall.

Sounds like you have some desired parts just laying around that's great.
With the parts you have including the forged crank I would be pursuing forged pistons and stronger connecting rods. These are expensive parts and use may be dictated by your budget.
With all forged internals you would have the capability of a reliable nitrous motor in the future if you so choose. Just my .02
I have a cast crank, rods and hypers in my motor. They now represent my limitations.
Darrell

With the low comp piston, in combination with the 3.51" stroke you reach zero deck.

I will post some pics later.

nice pic's

So these are 318 pistons or 360 piston

The math just don't add up. you have increased the stroke you 2 hundred thousandth right? A stock 318 piston is not 2 hundred thousandth (.200 in the hole)

.008 piston pop up is grate!
Just trying to understand how you got there.

nice pic's

So these are 318 pistons or 360 piston

The math just don't add up. you have increased the stroke you 2 hundred thousandth right? A stock 318 piston is not 2 hundred thousandth (.200 in the hole)

.008 piston pop up is grate!
Just trying to understand how you got there.

only half the stroke goes up...half the stroke goes down....brings the piston .100 higher in bore...

he said the bore was 318 .060.....gotta 318 .060 pistons then

Correct

I ran this set up last year, until a head gasket blow up.
Cam was a 275 dual energy. with the iron parts, I got a 14.6 sec.
The transmisson was a 904 with /6 converter and in the back worked a 3.23 without posi.
Trans slipped real bad, so I hope of better times with the new cam and heads in combination with the 727

^^ I was curious about that too. He mentioned a set of X heads in the buildup; if they are, they've been shaved a pretty good bit to remove the chamber relief...

I am now an opponent of cast pistons- recommend against them

Keith Black has a bunch of different offerings in hypereutectic-maybe speed pro or someone else does -> the guys on this board have often recommended one of KB's competitor's in reguards to heavy duty hyper-eutectic pistons

am interested in this build as i picked up one of these cranks a few years back

Hypereutectic is cast too. Sometimes people forget that.

The heads are 302 with 2.02" and 1.60".
They are having 62cc and I got a 10.4:1 Last year, with the blue fel pro head gasket.

Hypereutectic is cast too. Sometimes people forget that.

The low comp truck pistons are stock cast, no hyper pistons.

I checked the whole internet and couldn't found a 318 .06" over low comp Pisten in hypereutectic.

@360moparjunkie - your comment stay in my mind. Maybe you are right. I am still having a nice set of conecting rods, so I only have to order the right pistons. :pl:

The low comp truck pistons are stock cast, no hyper pistons.

I checked the whole internet and couldn't found a 318 .06" over low comp Pisten in hypereutectic.

@360moparjunkie - your comment stay in my mind. Maybe you are right. I am still having a nice set of conecting rods, so I only have to order the right pistons. :pl:

I can tell by the pictures they are regular cast pistons. I was just commenting to greymouser7 about what he said.

Correct

I ran this set up last year, until a head gasket blow up.
Cam was a 275 dual energy. with the iron parts, I got a 14.6 sec.
The transmisson was a 904 with /6 converter and in the back worked a 3.23 without posi.
Trans slipped real bad, so I hope of better times with the new cam and heads in combination with the 727

Your pushed a head gasket into the lifter valley due to the high static and dynamic compression. Your math is off you have more than 10.4. Nice build and nice write up and photos though. A 14.6 ET is pretty good but put some real heads on that engine and let it breathe--EQ's will work nicely here. I am in the process of building a 349 myself but with a .030" 318 Magnum block and 3.58" stroke (SCAT) crank. Will post soon about the build. J.Rob

-
Back