360 .040 over?

-

Hardin

Reaction score
hello guys,hey im new to building a mopar 360 engine and i just picked one up real cheap from a guy for $400 dollars he said he thought that it had gotten some water in it in storage and when i broke it down he was right.what i did find is he had it built .040over and it is completely new never ran yet.it has new pistons and a .030 under cast crank with what seems to be stock 1.88 heads.what cam is in it im not sure yet but i was wondering what comos i could use for this at .040 this thing seems to be a crate motor but why .040 over? its an 76-80 360 got to get #s from heads where to start guys i need advice.update well i went out and checked the heads and someone ground the #s off of it???? how else can i tell what the heack they are

A smart builder only bores as far as they need too so I can only guess that .040 was needed to clean the bore up and that it may have been bored .010 or .030 over in the past.

I don't understand what "comos" means so you'll have to be a bit more specific.

if you have the stock replacement 8:1 pistons, you could build your engine almost exactly like mine. Mine is:

77 360 +.040 8:1 fel-pro pistons
90's magnum heads
r/t springs & retainers
summit K6901 cam 218/228 degree at .050 .441/.441 lift (.470/.470 with magnum 1.6 stock rockers)
Edelbrock performer RPM air gap
600 Holley Vacuum Secondary Carb
1 5/8" headers (I have spitfires)
Milodon Windage tray
Milodon oil pan

Very powerful engine especially for what the short block is. Drinks 87 octane all day even with 10 degrees BTDC initial ignition timing.

if you have the stock replacement 8:1 pistons, you could build your engine almost exactly like mine. Mine is:

77 360 +.040 8:1 fel-pro pistons
90's magnum heads
r/t springs & retainers
summit K6901 cam 218/228 degree at .050 .441/.441 lift (.470/.470 with magnum 1.6 stock rockers)
Edelbrock performer RPM air gap
600 Holley Vacuum Secondary Carb
1 5/8" headers (I have spitfires)
Milodon Windage tray
Milodon oil pan

Very powerful engine especially for what the short block is. Drinks 87 octane all day even with 10 degrees BTDC initial ignition timing.
Could you post some pics. of the Spitfires?

Ok...here are some pics of the spitfires when i first got them and installed them on my original 318.

driver_side1.jpg

pass_side1.jpg

installed_1.jpg

installed_2.jpg

I bought them in 2002 so they may have changed a bit since then. They fit the 67-76 type body very well.

Just curious, does this 040 over 360 have posotive deck hieght? In other words, do the pistons stick out of the holes at TDC?

Sorry about my spelling this am, I am typing with the lights off so I dont wake my baby.

Ok...here are some pics of the spitfires when i first got them and installed them on my original 318.

driver_side1.jpg

pass_side1.jpg

installed_1.jpg

installed_2.jpg

I bought them in 2002 so they may have changed a bit since then. They fit the 67-76 type body very well.
The Spitfires look like a nice fit,wish I could have saved my p.steering on my 66 Dart.It was the only option that I had.LOL!I had to switch to manual column,manual box.How is your car now with the 360?I just put a 77,360 in that,s got .030 over pistons.

The Spitfires look like a nice fit,wish I could have saved my p.steering on my 66 Dart.It was the only option that I had.LOL!I had to switch to manual column,manual box.How is your car now with the 360?I just put a 77,360 in that,s got .030 over pistons.

It runs really strong for being a low compression engine. Its not so crazy powerful under 2000 rpm but anything above that and she really screams (have not had it over 5k), but I did punch it in 1st (4-speed with a 2.66:1 first and 3.23's) and I get about 20' dual streaks and nails the rev limiter. If I had to guess, I'd say the car can run 13's. pretty good considering most of the engine was used/junkyard before I bought it. I need to get some more drive time on it and do a plug reading as it might be slightly lean. The magnum heads are probably the real winner here. More compression and better flow just by bolting them on. Oh yeah, and make sure you use a timing setting somewhere around 10 degrees BTDC. If you want to run 87, you can. I have 89 in it and had even more timing in it and didn't get a ping.

-
Back