360/400 torque convertor

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
since both are externally balanced will their torque convertors interchange????? i'm putting together a stock 400 , will have plain ole B B 727. ????

I am almost 100% certain no.

Also another tidbit. Not all 400s were externally balanced, as some had steel cranks.

I am almost 100% certain no.

Also another tidbit. Not all 400s were externally balanced, as some had steel cranks.

steel crank 400's ?!!! truck motor maybe?? I didn't know that, but I admit I have never fooled with any B B except 383, 440. had a few hemi's in a pile of parts and always sold those deals off to "money" guys ! i'm buying the 400 from friend, havn't picked it up yet.
its going in 67 Bel 1 post car, will be just a fun driver, with low compression and maybe enough torque to provide a little fun!? lol
its not on my plate to have to build a trans and buy new convertor. looking for just a decent used set up.

I'll bet the converter bolt pattern is different.. I might have a good stock BB converter somewhere here - I had my 727 gone thru, and switched to a Hughes 3500 stall..

I believe that there is a different amount of weight in a different location between the two. If the converter is good the easiest solution is to knock off the weights and use the proper B & M flex plate. From recollection they are not terribly expensive.

I believe that there is a different amount of weight in a different location between the two. If the converter is good the easiest solution is to knock off the weights and use the proper B & M flex plate. From recollection they are not terribly expensive.

quite possibly what I will wind up having to do. my main goal is to find a usable 727, I don't want to have to rebuild one. the weighted b & m flexplate and get the weight kit and weld , whichever is cheaper, I can weld.
I am SOoooo used to 20 years ago, when finding good used engines and trans was SOooo easy!!!! or even 10 years ago!

...........Definetely different weights on each converter and slightly different positions......knock the weights off and get the b+m plate as stated earlier....kim.......

The stall will be different too. I have heard of BB guys using TC's from small blocks to get a different stall. I'm pretty sure the bolt patterns are the same. It's been a while since anyone has done that I'm sure with all the TC's available nowdays.

when I put a cast crank 400 together the balanced flexplate was indeed different than 360 balanced flexplate. B&M offers both. Imho it's easier to deal with than balanced converters when later changing engines or converters.

when I put a cast crank 400 together the balanced flexplate was indeed different than 360 balanced flexplate. B&M offers both. Imho it's easier to deal with than balanced converters when later changing engines or converters.

I agree easier. I have decades ago used the mopar weights that are welded to the convertor. who knows ,...I might find a good 400 trans/convertor!!!

bad part is I buy parts NOW I have thrown away decades ago!! not to mention see people restoring cars that back then were not even considered "parts" cars!!! lol

I agree easier. I have decades ago used the mopar weights that are welded to the convertor. who knows ,...I might find a good 400 trans/convertor!!!

bad part is I buy parts NOW I have thrown away decades ago!! not to mention see people restoring cars that back then were not even considered "parts" cars!!! lol

A few of us are in that boat! lol

-
Back