360=500hp

-
Hey Rumble, How did those 8 3/4 stragng axles get twisted? I say go Dana 60 for all of us 1/4 milers. Do it once, do it right.
I don't know. Extreme torque and years of metal fatigue? The price of a DANA is a bit expensive compared to upgrades on the 8-3/4, however, if your engine is strong, and I mean really strong, then the expense would be justifed. <SP>

it would take a 600hp 440 to go as fast as a 500hp 360 and cost just as much to build. Besides I am not planning on doing this in a day but prolonging it

Well, this is always interesting to get peoples opinion on stuff.

Converting an A body to a big block can be a lot of work (maybe not so much for those of you who have done it). But then you have to figure an expensive engine, expensive drivline, AND the cost of the conversion.

A $6000 engine?? There are guys in my club building 451 strokers for MUCH less than that, and doing 10s in the 1/4 with Pre-A Darts ( no bottles). But they are race motors, so streetability is pretty much nonexistant.

I prefer small blocks...smaller package, better handling (yes, I like my cars to handle). I would rather spend the $$$ on a stroker 408 than building a 440 and having to convert the rest of my car to fit it.

When the time comes to rebuild my 360, I'd like to make it a stroker.

like adam has writen you will have to turn real high RPM to make 500 rpm with a stock stroke engine to make 500HP i have a 340 wich is about as hot as adams but it has a rollercam and that makes it alitle stronger from low rpm but its still nowhere near something i would recomend someone to build as a daily driver engine... sure it can bee done but i would go for more cubes wich makes more torque

I run a 440-6 in my charger and a 360 in my dart. both are roller motors,both
are ported using direct connection templates, and both are quick. but my dart will eat my charger in the 1/4 and turns heads due to the exhaust note.
The A block was spendier to build, but still not near what it would take to get a chevy to this level. I have to say that I do like to mantain the stock appearance as much as possible.(love a good sleeper and if wasnt for all the glass in the area shaking as I drive by , my dart would make a great sleeper.)

all in all I would have to say that I would opt for a stroked A block rather than stuff a 440 in an a-body. but thats my opinion and you know what
they're like!!

I agree with BJR that good power can be built with mostly factory parts and good sound building practices. My .030, 340 with a true 9 to 1, small mechanical camshaft (.528), mild heads (915 castings 254 cfm), strip dominator, holley3310 (proform), hooker super comp's (1 3/4), made 454 hp @6800. While not a super hi horse engine, it makes good power, runs on pump gas, and is turn key. Does not overheat in the summer traffic and lends itself well for street duty. More compression and cam would get it close to '500'. More than that would take more aftermarket parts (expensive). But as Rumblefish pointed out..would lose some tractability. I understand what Moper is saying and he too makes some good points. JMHO, Good luck, ..you have much to consider. Keep us posted as to which route you decide on and the results. Terry.

There are plenty of engines making 600hp with some factory parts. The block is all I'd use. The reason is easy. It's an air pump. There's only one person who I beleive has the ability to flow the air required with factory head casting. HP is a function of torque, which is applied twisting force over time. That means you can make more power by increasing the force, or increasing the frequency of the power pulses. Increasing the force is compression, cylinder pressures, stroke changes, bore changes, and all good machining practices(more stable parts allow less loss from inaccuracy). Increasing frequency is rpms. More rpm=more air flow needed. The book "The Auto Math Handbook" has some great sections about piston speed, hp and torque, and efficiency, and is written for the hobbyist, as opposed to the engineer.
As far as possible, take a look at many of the faster Super Stock Eliminator (not Hemis..the other ones..lol) cars, and you'll see it is possible. A friend's SS/GT mustang runs a 351+.030 Cleveland. Factory head castings, factory block, factory crank, factory compression. (not sure if the factory carb is used, but it's no matter) Rods, pistons, valve train, and intake tract are all aftermarket. It made 685+ on the dyno a few years ago. But, before it's misread...He has over 300 hours in the heads alone. (he now owns a flow bench in his garage at home..) The ports were completely reworked, the valve train is the result of at least 10 cams I know about, and the peak torque is 7K rpm, and peak hp is 7800. Street car? Nope. Budget? dont ask, he gets real testy about that.
The thing is, you dont need 600 hp to run fast on the street. Look at the ETs of the posters here. less than 500hp running low 11s. The more streetable, the less power in most cases. I dont agree with the "you have to build a 600hp 440 to keep up with a 500hp 360". I know of several 530tq 450hp 440s that routinely walk all over 500hp small blocks. On the street, Torque moves you; HP is a bragging number. I do think the way to build a killer A body is a small block. I'd build the biggest you can afford, because bigger is only slightly more or the same $$, and gets that streetability back. The lowest budget 416 I can build will cost less to build and run than a 360 cid that needs to make the same power. The coolest thing is, like they've said..No new trans case, special headers, special mount kits, and equal handling/braking to a 318 car.

forged bottom end with a lot of nitrous on saturday nights. that's the way to do it hhahahahahaha

MOPAR Performance new 440 (439.1 CID actually) small
> block.
> Bore:4.180", stroke: 4", Red line 6,000 RPM.
> Aluminum
> large port Commando heads use W2 style shaft
> Rockers.
> Rotating assembly is all forged. 500-525 Hp/535 LbFt
> on
> pump gas.

about 4"!!!!!! :thumblef:

someone said they run 9.5:1 comp and has to MIX 110 and 92??....your timing MUST be off!!!!.....i had around 10.25:1 and could run 92/93 NO PROBLEM!!!

-
Back