360 A833 flywheel?????????

-

74 dodge ram

Reaction score
I am replacing my 318 with 727 auto for a mildly built 360 and a A833 four speed overdrive
i pulled the four speed and bellhousing from a 318 truck ( i didnt check the engine number so it may be a 360) and am looking for a used 360 flywheel(the one i pulled had one faulty tooth).I know the 360 is internally ballanced and the 318 is external what physical difference is there so i can tell what i am looking at if i find a used flywheel
thank you for any input

Actually its the other way around. The 360 is an external balance and the 318 is internal.

A 360 flywheel will have three large ~1" holes drilled into the flywheel on the back side.

A 360 is external balanced as are the newer 318s. You can buy a new flywheel from Summit or Mancini, etc. About the only way you will find a used one is from a wrecked Dodge Ram 1500. I have the factory specs and engineering drawing of the placement of the 3 balance holes so if you have an internal balance flywheel and access to a machinist who is able to "trig" the pattern, it can be used. I have found that many shops do not have that big drill bit. It can still be done with a smaller bit but the drilling has to go deeper.

Oh I hate to be the one to say this....weld a new tooth on the flywheel and re shape it with a cutoff wheel.I have repaired teeth on rack and pinions for racecars ( sweet,appleton ) and have done a few teeth on flywheels for people,it will be easier than finding a flywheel and will last for years to come.have also repaired the teeth for steering systems on riding lawn mowers for several people who were ready to give up.

I just started a 74 duster project for a decent driver thats not crazy will be a stock 74 360 that runs really well for a stock unrebuilt engine. Im gonnna be putting a really small xtreme energy cam in it and a stock cast early 4bbl intake headers, a 4spd, and an 8 1/4 with 3.91s and an auburn in it and a small plate kit a friend just gave to me for some ford parts I had around. I traded a a bunch of ford stuff for the body and the drivetrain for this duster. Anyways heres a pic of the right flywheel for a 360 ext balance, have had it for a while so it needs resurfaced heres a cpl pics:
031409_22451.jpg

031409_22462.jpg

Good luck,
Marvin

-
Back