360 block deck heigth

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
does anyone know if all 360 blocks use the same deck heigth or if some years used different ones? I have a 71 360 block that I transfered the crank/rods and pistons from into a 74 block and I now have my pistons sitting at a different heith than they did in the 71 block.The pistons in the 71 block was down in the wholes .015 but now moving them to a replacement 74 block they sit .085 down in the holes????? anyone seen this before

The blocks are all generally the same height give or take a few thousandths, the olny thing that could possiably have happened is the deck on the older block had been cut as there wouldn't be a .080 or more difference maybe .010 or .015 but thats about it. The std deck height is 9.60 so if it is different than this then it has been modified.

0.085 in the hole is about right for a stock un cut block with stock pistons. I would venture a gues the 71 block had been decked.

I agree with you that the 71 MUST be modified but the guy who owns it says its never been decked and he bought the car new . I know the factory will over bore and machine mains and lifter ports but have you ever heard of them decking a block? what would be the insignia for that ? a dodge emblem cut in half ...LOL
Also isn't .075 way too much to take off the top of the block ...would make the head surface awful thin and might start to oil can under use. I was thinking that would be a good block to build for some stock class (if it came from the factory that way how could they say you cheated ...LOL) But the 2 .45 caliber windows in the left side kind of lets that idea go to h*ll

There is the blueprint height like BJR says. But they are never, ever, even close to that. Add in a rebuild or two, and they may be closer, but generally not anywhere near the factory. Which is why the compression with most pistons is never as high as the book unless you square deck to the blue print dimension.

-
Back