360 Build advice NEEDED for my 1970 Dart Swinger!

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 1970 dodge dart swinger I would like to build a 360 engine for. Its a 318 right now with a 904 automatic w/ stock converter, and has a 2.76 rear. I have a early 70's 360 engine, I think its a '71, for this car. I want to know how to get some HP's out of this engine. I have a set of stock 1971 "J" Heads, and I also have a set of original 1968 340 "X" heads for this engine...I would like to know which ones to use, and which set of heads I would benefit from a porting job, a port matching, and etc.. the most. I would like to know what to use as far as pistons goes, and what compression I should keep it at to run 91-93 octane pump gas. I would like to know what camshaft to use, because I would like some lope and agressive power from this engine. I was always interested in using a low rise dual quad manifold for this build and I would like to know what carb's to use if this is a good idea to get some wot and high rpm power, I want to be able to keep it all under the hood though with out having to use any hood scoop. I have a set of nice full length headman headers for this car and it currently has dual 2 1/4" exhausts with nice flow masters and I would like to add electric cutouts behind the headers too...lol... I want to know if some one can help me address all of these areas for the engine, and how much power I should expect, considering this would be a street car and would would almost never see the strip...I would still like to keep this as a nice quick rumblin around town car, but on the other hand keep it able to go on the highway, so I would like to keep the gears that are in it now. But I am debating about the torque converter though...should I keep it stock? or can I get away with a little more stall speed so I could fit a little heftier cam in? Should I go with a 904 lock up converter transmission so I can keep the rpms down a little more on the highway, and can i find a higher stall lock up converter?? by the way, what is the stock stall speed on the converter in this car?
I need a good amount of advice for this build...PLEASE ADVISE!!
Thank you,
-ANTHONY

-
Back