360 Build ... another one

-

rosco426

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum and was after some help/opinions.

Looking at building a 360 with around 400hp at the fly but don't want anything that would be a pig to drive.

What will I need to make this sort of power and is it possible?

Looking at the moment at using the RHS heads from a forum member here otherwise I am open to suggestions. I will only be using 3.5's as I do a bit of freeway driving.

All ideas/opinions welcome,

Cheers,

Lambros

with RHS heads, run the edelbrock air gap, a holley 750 HP DP, solid cam around 240 degrees duration @.050, matchin springs, good roller rockers,9.7:1 compression and you're there.

3.5's as in 3.55 gears?

On what size tire?
Is there a converter change in the future or possible?

Is this powr possible. (OMG! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And why not?

IMO, and how I like to do things;

Zero deck piston height (KB 107's or Federal Mougal cp116's, deck height may need to be milled down to make it a zero deck height.)
A cam like or similar to a Comp Cam 280 (230 @ 050)
pocket ported heads
RPM intake
750 carb headers (Extractors)
2-1/2 inch exhaust pipe.

400+ no problem.

you could just build a stock one with forged slugs and spray it.

Cheers guys.

Not sure on tyre size as yet, currently got stock 14 inch rims and tyres on the car but that might change.

I'll probably use a 23-2600 converter depending of course on the cam.

The two cams I had in mind were (both Comp Cams) the XE274H and the PP280H which I think you mentioned above.

Time to take advantage of the strong aussie dollar it looks like!

Anyone care about fuel economy?

I'll be honest not overly fussed, why do you ask?

Is an MSD E-Curve dizzy good for the job? I like the idea of being able to set a rev limiter on it.

Sorry for any stupid question, new to the idea of building an engine.

I'll be honest not overly fussed, why do you ask?

Is an MSD E-Curve dizzy good for the job? I like the idea of being able to set a rev limiter on it.

Sorry for any stupid question, new to the idea of building an engine.

Yes they're pretty good.

Rebuild what you have. Stick KB107s in it for pistons. Have the stock heads done with a good 5 angle valve job. Internally balance it. Stick in an XE274H hydraulic and a Performer intake, 750 Thunder AVS, and cheapo headers and you're there. 400hp is very easy to get so long as the machine work is top notch.

Rebuild what you have. Stick KB107s in it for pistons. Have the stock heads done with a good 5 angle valve job. Internally balance it. Stick in an XE274H hydraulic and a Performer intake, 750 Thunder AVS, and cheapo headers and you're there. 400hp is very easy to get so long as the machine work is top notch.

Unfortunately its just a block and bottom end. Taking the 318 out of my car and put a 360 in that was spare as it would make 400hp easer than the 318 would with a standard stroke.

I'll probably be using a RPM Air-Gap since in the future I may go for more power and if it is better than the Performer, rather spend the little extra and do it once.

Looks like I'll need a 750 carb, then just to decide on the cam, which seems will be the toughest choice.

Thanks for the advice.

What HP you think with that XE274H hydraulic and a 416 stroker motor and E-brock heads?

With better matching of parts and correcting the valve job, you could probably get another 15-20hp out of it, but at around 600rpm lower, and with a flatter torque curve and more torque overall. That cam's a little small for a 4" arm and would not be my choice.

-
Back