360 build. Need advice

-

SlinkyScamp72

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp. I am looking at putting in a small block 360. I have always had a huge love for Mopars but I dont have much knowledge about them. I have a stock 360 right now but am looking at putting a high rise dual carb intake on it and running 2 carter 500 cfm with it. I need advice about cams, exhaust, and boring. I was told by various people to bore it .040 over and possibly even stroking it. I also was looking at doing a t56 swap or another manual since now it is a slant 6 with the 904. Have heard that a dakota 5 spd may work but idk about it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you stroke it,most kits have .030 pistons so a .040 over may be aliitle harder to find depending on the route you go.My cousin put a dakota 5 speed in a dart sport but I dont know the particulars of the swop.With those carbs on a small block your going to want alot of flow from the carbs all the way to the tail pipes so i think long tube headers would siut you better with large pipes 2 1/2 minimum.Ported heads with atleast 2.02-1.60 valves.All this is if your trying to get the most out of those carbs.You can tune it for less hp but it sounds like your wanting a monster.Some one will chime in with the right cam,I would assume atleast a .480ish lift.

.040 pistons are available from several manufacturers...but only bore it the smallest amount necessary..

i would run one single holley four barrel....

I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp. I am looking at putting in a small block 360. I have always had a huge love for Mopars but I dont have much knowledge about them. I have a stock 360 right now but am looking at putting a high rise dual carb intake on it and running 2 carter 500 cfm with it. I need advice about cams, exhaust, and boring. I was told by various people to bore it .040 over and possibly even stroking it. I also was looking at doing a t56 swap or another manual since now it is a slant 6 with the 904. Have heard that a dakota 5 spd may work but idk about it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to FABO! from Columbus, Indiana

I agree on the smallest bore possible. No need to run even .030 if the standard bore is good. The HP gain you will see from boring will be so minimal, you'll never know it. Plus, you'll have the benefit of having a lot of block left.

...also one last bit of advice....since you did ask. If this is your firsr Mopar project, keep it simple. Build a stock bore and stroke 360. It will surprise the hell out of you. Strokers have some special machining and assembly considerations you might not want to encounter on your first build. Just food for thought.

.040 pistons are available from several manufacturers...but only bore it the smallest amount necessary..

i would run one single holley four barrel....

I dont want to run a single carb and be like everyone else. not many people build up a scamp and since its a different car its gonna have a different setup

Since a single carb is NOT going to happen, a dual quad intake is going to be very hard to find. Edelbrock hasn't made one for us MoPar guys in like 30 years. But they do show up from time to time.

Weiand still has them, though there a low rise, even the "raised" intakes are still low in height. They are also a divided single plane intake.

I need advice about cams, exhaust, and boring.

Overbore; best advice already given, follow it, less is better.
Exhaust; tti and headers by Doug are the best fitting headers period. All others are a 1 size fits all header unless you step up to a header like Hooker "Super" comp or Headman Hustlers. Then there price jumps and there fit isn't a promise of anything.

Cam; The cam is a part of the whole combination and subject to opinion that varies like socks at the mall. All I or anyone can do at this point is make a good "In general" recommendation of what to look for in the cam. This would be the basic's of cam's.

First, know what RPM you'll be driving in or, if it is a no hold bared engine.
Then know everything else about the car and the target of the build.
(I myself like to use as much lift as the head can handle, so know your head flow spec's)

Tell us about the intended build, target of the build and car.

While manual trannys are great IMO, a Dakota swap is not so simple.

First build?

nice to see another person from indiana on here

X 2, Welcome. A little more info on what you are looking for power wise, and intended use would be helpful (street, strip, street/strip).

I run the Summit ET series (Pro category) at Lucas Oil Raceway most of the summer. There are quite a few Mopars that run there, would love to see more:thumblef:.

Since a single carb is NOT going to happen, a dual quad intake is going to be very hard to find. Edelbrock hasn't made one for us MoPar guys in like 30 years. But they do show up from time to time.

Weiand still has them, though there a low rise, even the "raised" intakes are still low in height. They are also a divided single plane intake.

Overbore; best advice already given, follow it, less is better.
Exhaust; tti and headers by Doug are the best fitting headers period. All others are a 1 size fits all header unless you step up to a header like Hooker "Super" comp or Headman Hustlers. Then there price jumps and there fit isn't a promise of anything.

Cam; The cam is a part of the whole combination and subject to opinion that varies like socks at the mall. All I or anyone can do at this point is make a good "In general" recommendation of what to look for in the cam. This would be the basic's of cam's.

First, know what RPM you'll be driving in or, if it is a no hold bared engine.
Then know everything else about the car and the target of the build.
(I myself like to use as much lift as the head can handle, so know your head flow spec's)

Tell us about the intended build, target of the build and car.

While manual trannys are great IMO, a Dakota swap is not so simple.

First build?

Ive got the Weiand intake already. And I was thinking of doing tti headers. I would like the motor to be running in the higher rpms. I will mainly be using it as a street car with the occasional trip to the strip. And yes this is my first build with a Mopar.

Since you asked for advice..............and this is your first Mopar build.

I have some questions and concerns; first question: have you ever tuned a multiple carb set-up before? Duel carbs are great eye candy, however IMHP not really worth the time. Get it right and your golden, get it wrong and you'll be amazed at yourself on how fast you will pull it off.

You said mostly street, with ocasional trips to the strip; you want the engine to run in the upper RPM. Myself, I consider upper RPM 7000 and above. To do that on the street is gonna take deep gears in the back(not very streetable). To make power in that range would require a cam in the neighborhood of 240 degrees at .050 or more, be it hydraulic, solid, or roller.

I thought about a Dakota 5spd myself years ago untill a tranny shop owner told me they are weak, weak to the point a 4cyl could break them, T56 would be better, though it would require tunnel surgery to fit.

TTi's are very good headers, that's a good solid choice.

Mopars are not hard to work on, not signifficantly different than anything else. Just do your home work before you turn a wrench. There is no such thing as being too clean!

Good luck.............

Great advice JBurch

Slinky, you said you have a Weiand. Great, which one? They make several.

Would a set of 4.10's be too much gear for you to run the street? It would be with 27 inch tires.

I dont want to run a single carb and be like everyone else. not many people build up a scamp and since its a different car its gonna have a different setup

A 360 in the Scamp will be enough to surprise them, you really do not need to run the dual quads. But it is your car and your build...

for street driving, I would recommend keeping the cam in the 260° - 280° duration range.

Take the stock 1.88" valve heads and have your head guy put in hardened seats in the exhaust valves and open up the intakes to the 340 2.02" intake valves. You can buy valves at Mancini racing. A little mild porting would help.

Keep the compression in the 9.0 - 9.5 range so you can run the cheap pump gas..

A set of Rhoades varaible duration lifters will help keep the cam more streetable and help with low end power and smoother idle.

You can also put a windage tray in it for higher rpm. Mancini sells them also.

If you plan on revving it over 6 k have it balanced.

If you don't have a local head guy, I know one in Michigan that does great work at decent prices.

Welcome to FABO, neighbor. I'm only 22 miles from the Indiana border.

If rebuilding, have it balances PERIOD!!!!

X 2, Welcome. A little more info on what you are looking for power wise, and intended use would be helpful (street, strip, street/strip).

I run the Summit ET series (Pro category) at Lucas Oil Raceway most of the summer. There are quite a few Mopars that run there, would love to see more:thumblef:.

know of any good engine/head shops in indy? I need to have motor work done and most people i have talked to dont know of a good place around here

-
Back