360 Cam suggestions.

-

stupidasso

CA ANRCHY
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the Mancini cam package (cam,springs, retainers, lifters, pushrods) for my 79 stock 360. What's the best specs for really good power, but a semi decent idle. don't want to be a drag car. I want to be able to drive this thing on regular roads every now and then :)
I read this on allpar, any suggestions wether this is true or not?
360s get radical when you get up to .485 and 290+ duration, so a .450 lift and 270 degree duration in a 360 screams, idles pretty smooth and will get a little better mileage without any sacrifices.

I was thinking about 260/268..430/450 purple cam # P4452759

It'll get less mileage with a bigger cam, manufacture dependent, it'll be worse or better. Not all cams that have a 270 duration are the same @ .050. High lift has nothing to with mileage loss or power loss unless it exceeds the heads flow capcity.

What car, it's weight, carb, tranny, rear gears, tire size and any mods?

The cam you chose makes good torque and power at a low RPM. It will be fine for a everyday driver.

I think the 268-272 450-455 is the stock replacement 340 cam wich was also the same cam used in 360 4bbls.

I think that most stock cams were less than this and the cam that Adam is referring to is the HP cam for the 340, and it used more compression for this cam from the factory. IMO something in the .420 to .440 range would be better with 210/218 @ .050, this will give better response and fuel economy with little to no rump but noticeable idle, and a good stepup for the 360 CI engine for the street.

Thanks Guys.
It's a 72 Dart Swinger with a stock 79 360 long block. it'll have the eddie dual pane manifold, eddie 600 cfm, headers and 3" exhaust, sporting a fresh mazzolini built 904 and 2500 huges stall converter. with 3.23 running gears in a 489 in the back. I just want to make sure that I'll smoke any camaro that pulls up next to me. :) This will be no daily driver, a once a week driver and I'd like to have some fun at the next mopars at the strip in lost wages.

Stu

-
Back