JustSendIt_SBM

Reaction score
Hello, new here

Building a 360 for my project and looking for cam suggestions:
  • Street (mostly) / Strip (sometimes) application
  • 360 LA block 30 over bore
  • KB107 pistons
  • 10 over stock crank
  • Speedmaster heads 65cc Hydraulic Flat Tappet (non-cnc port)
  • Air gap intake
  • 750 Holley carb
  • 727 transmission / 3000 stall converter / 3.73 posi gears
What are the options and favorited cam choices for a profile like this?

Thanks in advance all

solid choice is always a 3/4 race cam baby! pays the money and ride the lightning!

all kidding aside, that set up will run well with a fairly broad range of cams from pleasantly stout to fairly wild (if the heads are set up for that amount of lift).

personally i'd aim more toward street and less toward strip and choose something in the 480~500 lift range and 220~235 duration and try and get the lsa below 114

adjust accordingly upward for more performance if desired and salt to taste. let rest at least 10min before slicing.

Last edited:
Do have an ballpark idea ?
Pretty much could make an argument to use cams from like 224 to 250 or so,
I'd say around 235 give or take cut on 108 to 110 lsa, .500 to .550 lift.

Last edited:
Hello, new here

Welcome aboard!
Building a 360 for my project and looking for cam suggestions:

Oh there’s a can of worms!!!!
  • Street (mostly) / Strip (sometimes) application
  • 360 LA block 30 over bore
  • KB107 pistons
How far down the hole are the pistons and what head gasket thickness are you using?
  • 10 over stock crank
Means nothing
  • Speedmaster heads 65cc Hydraulic Flat Tappet (non-cnc port)
Sorry to read this.
Spring upgrade for a good cam.
Headers? What tube size?
  • Air gap intake
  • 750 Holley carb
  • 727 transmission / 3000 stall converter / 3.73 posi gears
What size tires?
What are the options and favorited cam choices for a profile like this?

Do you want to run a HFT? SFT? Roller?
Proceed to the below reply.
Thanks in advance all
:thumbsup:

If you answer the above, I can make a better suggestion.
IMO, a cam like the Comp Thumper is really good for what you describe. Lunati & Howards also have there version.

Get Oregon Cams to grind you theor version of the .528 Mopar Performance solid flat tapped cam and ditch the hydraulic valve springs. Grind #549. Get them to grind it on a 108 instead of the 112. They'll do that no charge.

Last edited:
I run the 292 mopar purple cam. It runs nice! Rest of my combo consists of KB107 pistons, 340 X-heads, 727 with a 9.5" FTI converter 3400-3600 stall. 3.91's out back. Thus in a dart sport. Rejected thermusquad 850 cfm on top of a Victor 340 single plane intake. Love this combo!!:steering:

Now days may be hard to get this cam. But Racer Brown might a grind like mine. Howard's cams also has nice grinds too!

I run the 292 mopar purple cam. It runs nice! Rest of my combo consists of KB107 pistons, 340 X-heads, 727 with a 9.5" FTI converter 3400-3600 stall. 3.91's out back. Thus in a dart sport. Rejected thermusquad 850 cfm on top of a Victor 340 single plane intake. Love this combo!!:steering:

He doesn’t have your gear or stall.

This is a pretty good all around dd/performance cam for a 360. Good lift to duration, especially with your speedmasters heads and a 1.6 rocker, if that is what you have. A little wide, but good vacuum, street manners, etc.

20240504_140207.jpg

wow lots of great input above. Thank you all

Forgot to mention
Headers
Rear tires are 25" tall
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
0 Deck height

Speedmaster heads are bare so I can do some of my own port work, select my own springs and valves. I take it some folks aren't fans of them, but I think for the price they'll work for me.

Why are you so hung up on hydraulic?

wow lots of great input above. Thank you all

Forgot to mention
Headers
Rear tires are 25" tall
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
0 Deck height
Excellent pertinent supporting information. The zero deck height and small cc head area are about a 11-1 ratio.

Speedmaster heads are bare so I can do some of my own port work, select my own springs and valves. I take it some folks aren't fans of them, but I think for the price they'll work for me.
Since YOU can work on them, they can be a good head for you.
I would suggest a call to Howard’s cams and ask for a high lift HFT to work with your combination. I myself would yield at a duration of 236*’s @.050, have it ground on a 108 LSA, get as much lift as possible and that the head flows, if possible.

I stated 236*’s @.050, but a lot of this is in flux because of the love that is used can make a 236* ether very aggressive or Just OK. It’s a general area.

Hey just send it,
I did the wallace dynamic compression ratio calculator with your 11 to 1 compression ratio and the aforementioned cam I suggested above, which gives you 197.20 cylinder pressure, probably a little too high for comfort even with the speedmaster heads, so I am removing my suggestion.
A cam company suggestion is always your best bet, but if you just wanted something hydraulic to stab in there, the traditional 268 cam seems like a pretty good fit for that combo. I have never run that particular grind, but it seems well liked here and puts it in a sweet spot with a cranking pressure of 185 with your combo.

Excellent pertinent supporting information. The zero deck height and small cc head area are about a 11-1 ratio.

Since YOU can work on them, they can be a good head for you.
I would suggest a call to Howard’s cams and ask for a high lift HFT to work with your combination. I myself would yield at a duration of 236*’s @.050, have it ground on a 108 LSA, get as much lift as possible and that the head flows, if possible.

I stated 236*’s @.050, but a lot of this is in flux because of the love that is used can make a 236* ether very aggressive or Just OK. It’s a general area.
Howard’s has a sweet cam at the 236/236. I had YellowRose spec a cam for me and this is what we used but did on a 105. But mine is a 72 duster, 30 over 340 10.5-1 with full kill ported 2.05 Eddy rpm heads, ported air gap, worked over 750 double pumper, 4 speed, 373 and 27-28 inch tire. We wanted a little flex with gearing, so I could run between 355 and 410’s, but my car is built as a corner carver so the 373, and I have a GV on a transmission that we kept in mind when selecting this one.

Howard’s has a sweet cam at the 236/236. I had YellowRose spec a cam for me and this is what we used but did on a 105. But mine is a 72 duster, 30 over 340 10.5-1 with full kill ported 2.05 Eddy rpm heads, ported air gap, worked over 750 double pumper, 4 speed, 373 and 27-28 inch tire. We wanted a little flex with gearing, so I could run between 355 and 410’s, but my car is built as a corner carver so the 373, and I have a GV on a transmission that we kept in mind when selecting this one.

Oh I like that. Nice, very nice set up. I like the 4.10’s a/a 28” tire.
Below is an old NOS Crane cam I picked up from FABO a while back that’s getting set into action. I’d have suggest this, but Crane is gone and the cam can only be copied. This works well in a hot rod street car. IMO, it’s about the max I’d suggest for the OP and his set up. Mostly due to the small tire and 3.73 gearing.

The cam card below is being used with Magnum heads so recalculating the lift should be done. Edit, I did the math, it’s now a .530 lift. Works well with the stock heads and the Hughes trick spring kit. Add in a good valve job and a bowl porting and it’ll be a nice enhancement.

IMG_1183.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, another cam thread but for 360's this time. Nice!

-
Back