360 Commando Tuning...

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
alright guys, i've got a 92 360 commando motor that i need to tune in. i've done some reading and see that you guys talk alot about initaial and total timing. now what on earth is the difference initial and total? and how do you adjust both? i've never had to tune a motor and only method i know is by using a engine light and turning the distributer.

thanks

adam

Initial timing is the amount of advance with the vacuum canister disconnected and at idle without the mechanical advance having any effect.

Total timing is your initial timing plus total mechanical advance. A dial back timing light or timing tape will be necessary to read this amount of timing. Mechanical advance can be easily adjusted with a aftermarket distributor like the MP unit, but the stock types can only be limited by welding up the advance weight slots.

ok, so my distrubitor looks just like that one posted, so how would i go about timing it in with initial and total timing?

......so would i time in distributor in at 10-12 degrees with a timing light for initial? and then mess with the vacum advance on the distributor to get it to 30+ for the total timing?

No, once you found the amount of initial timing the engine likes, you would then find out how much timing you have total by running the engine up in rpm until you find the point that timing no longer increases with the vacuum line disconnected. This will entail the use of a dial back timing light or a timing tape. Chances are that you will have too much total. Here's a tutorial I wrote up on the process. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=67882

Once your initial and mechanical are set up you can then start adding in vacuum advance in two degree increments until it starts to ping then back off 2 degrees. Vacuum advance has no effect WOT, but it will help your gas mileage in steady state cruise conditions.

-
Back