360 Cooling Sys Clogged?

-

khwk508

Reaction score
I have a remanufactured 360 (by pros ~4-5 yrs ago) with a 2-row 22" rad with twin electric fans (not sure cfm), 180 stat, 16 psi cap, after initial warm-up temp holds around 190, if run hwy speed @ 85F, wants to settle around 205 or so. My first and main concern is that when drained weak coolant I only got about 6 qts (excluding heater core) and it only took about 7+ qts when I refilled. The system should have taken about 15 qts unless I'm missing something basic. If the system is clogged, I would expect it boil over, or does it need a 4-way bypass? I've been reading other posts and probably need to do a flush of some kind, but if really half plugged up, sounds major ](*,)

I does not sound as if you are clogged up. If that was the case you'd experience the problem no matter what your speed was. Sounds to me as if you have too much flow at higher rpm's. Your coolant is not staying the radiator long enough to cool at higher speeds.

All that being said, 205 is close to ideal temperature anyways. I would not worry too much about it. As long as you are running coolant, you are no where near too hot to boil over.

Thx for your explanation - I expect a 3 row core rad would take care of the cooling issue. But how do we explain the volume of fluid - is there rationale for not be able to drain the spec volume?

Happy 4th !!

Bill

You may have coolant trapped in the block. Did you just drain from the drain **** on the bottom of the radiator, all the coolant won't drain? You will have coolant still in the block, towards the back you should find some 1/4 " pipe plugs along the same height as your freeze plugs. take one out or both. Be prepared for a splash (don't be under it) You may find some sediment from silica drop-out of your antifreeze. If no coolant passes through it , you may have to knock it loose with a screwdriver. Just light pressure not pounding with a hammer. I've had good luck in the past with a blow gun and then chasing the garbage out by back flushing the heater hoses. If you drain the block the refill will be a PITA because you'll have an air lock. I usually drill a 1/16" hole in the fixed outer ring of the thermostat. That allows air to escape out the top. You gotta fill slow but it works. You wanna go with a good quality green antifreeze, red is only good if it's your first fill. Seems like after you go green you can't go red does something to the water pump seals.( in my experience)kinda like going from conventional oil to synthetic, all of a sudden leaks pop up. Good luck

Thx for the suggestions - I'll give that a try. I drained from the rad bottom first then pulled the lower rad hose. Then also jacked up the rear but only got another pint or so. Filled the block first thru manifold, drilled 2 small holes in stat outer ring, sealed up, then topped-off rad, etc.:?

I can't imagine your system will hold 15qts. Unless it is a truck or so sort of heavy duty vehicle. Most systems hold about 10 qts tops.

-
Back