360 crate timing

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
having a lil troble gettin it set right. idle is ok, under load is ok, cruising at 60 plus i have a lil stumble, any suggestions? when I advanced it to about thirty four , thirty five @ three thousand rpm it gor worse, so what should I retard it to. Im guessin thirty, thirty one. Any one have experience with this motor, I guess I just gotta find the sweetspot. Thanks

did that---- i had it wayyyyyyy to advanced (craftsman timing lite...pos) Got it thirty three now...still breakin up a lil,,,, gonna go thirty one

This is an old post. However, I had the same issue w/ my 360ci/380hp Mopar crate. Johnny, did you ever find a remedy?

Crisco, there are many threads on here about how to set timing. Doing it via the total method like above is the ABSOLUTE wrong way on a street car.

starting with

Set initial as high as the engine wants and still starts when hot, no kickback or hard drag. There are a bunch of ways to do this, vacuum gauge, advancing until the engine stops picking up RPM, etc.

Get into the distributor and adjust the mechanical advance to hit the total number you want, total - initial = mechanical.

Then do the curve using springs.

Then vacuum advance if you have it.

Most of the time, mopars like a bunch of initial. I'd figure you are going to be in the 15-20 range. Then another 15-20 in the distributor.

Good luck with it.

-
Back