360 driver build

-
The Gear Vendors is the only way I'd go OD on an automatic as of right now. I'm not a fan of big floor changes and welding just for OD. Not that I'm really worried about mileage as a seasonal 3rd car for me anyway. However don't believe the hype about the "1st, 1st over..." stuff. The control box is a PITA and almost can't function that way. The best way I know of using it is the on/off switch for OD, which is wicked cool when you want that extra speed or mileage.

The Gear Vendors is the only way I'd go OD on an automatic as of right now. I'm not a fan of big floor changes and welding just for OD. Not that I'm really worried about mileage as a seasonal 3rd car for me anyway. However don't believe the hype about the "1st, 1st over..." stuff. The control box is a PITA and almost can't function that way. The best way I know of using it is the on/off switch for OD, which is wicked cool when you want that extra speed or mileage.

I'm not sure I understand. I just want to leave it in the auto mode. I dk t want to b flipping it on an off while driving. I just want it to b a 6 speed auto and leave it at that

wouldnt i have to do a bunch of modification to the tranny tunnel and crossmember to install an A500 though? and gear vendors doesnt need more than a few hammer dings in the floor pan and gives you a 6 speed. i was figuring id do gear vendors waaay down the road though since i already have a 904 that came with the 360 i bought

Well, if you don't mind spending big bucks for a gear vendors overdrive to your door and then more for installation of the unit at a tranny shop, then YEP! go for the Gear vendors OD unit.

The A-500 requires little work. It'll fit into the tunnel with a hammer modification and welding is simple.

If you do not have a welder or a way to cut metal, then ethier get the tools and learn (Like myself) or just pay the piper(s) for the gear Vendors OD unit.

OH, there are modified bolt in kits (Trans cross member and hardware) for the A-500/518 trannys into our old cars. So skip the learn how to cut metal and weld comment.

The GV O.D. , It has the abilty to split the gears. So you would have 6 gears total.

It's a single overdrive unit, not two. You would still have a single overdriven gear above the trannys final drive.

Ratio wise, the OD @ .69 vs the OE, GV @ .78

R&P ratio X OD = A-500 OD vs Gear Vendors OD unit ratio final drive

4.56 X .69 = ........3.15 .. vs. GV O.D. ratio of .78..... = 3.55
4.30 X .69 = ....... 2.97 ....................................... = 3.35
4.10 X .69 = .......2.93 ....................................... = 3.19
3.91 X .69 = ........2.691 ..................................... = 3.05

I agree on the floor mods. I put the gear vendors in my E-Body last spring and love it. I just use it as an OD and leave it in "Auto" mode 90% of the time. Automatically shifs to OD at 45 MPH. When I want to control the OD shift, I turn it off and flip the switch. I agree the spliting is a PITA unless racing. I am happy with the results although I understand others wanting to go the 500 or 518 route.

good thread with a lot of good info. I'm looking into the A500 myself, just having a problem scoring one as they are proud of them in my neck o' the woods.

good thread with a lot of good info. I'm looking into the A500 myself, just having a problem scoring one as they are proud of them in my neck o' the woods.

theres another thing to think of there, rumble. availability. a GV costs a lot up front, but i can get ahold of one easier. its just a matter of money. an a500 id have to find a tranny, possibly ship it, an either cut and weld or find a bolt in kit you were talkin about.

plus, from what i understand, GV is basically bolt on. it replaceses that tailshaft of the tranny doesnt it? just requires a few hammered spots in the floor pan and you done. bsides i have a friends shop available and hed prolly help me with the install of a GV or an a500. but i would have to find someone local who could come shop with me since im a know-nothing :toothy10:.

Im not against an a500 i just wanted to bring the GV to the table as another option. all i know is i want, as my dad always says,to put it in D for DUMMY, and foget about it. since both applications work, i want to get whichever is sinmpler an preferably cheaper. i do, however, KNOW im putting a GV on my uncles 73 charger down the road (loooong time) because we want to keep all the original equipment we can.

-
Back