360 Duster exhaust leak or lifter ticking

-

green360duster

Reaction score
Trying to wrap up my car for Mopar National so I'm probably not going to have time fix this till after this weekend, but just looking for ideas. Anyway the 360 starts ticking at about 1500 Rpms, doesn't do it under 1500, I can rev the engine in neutral, won't tick, I can hold the brake in drive and rev up to 2000 rpm, won't tick, just ticks going down the road. Any good ways to distinguish exhaust ticks from lifter ticks, sounds like its on drivers side. Has 340 hp manifolds with x heads.

Get a scrap length of hose, fuel hose, etc, and probe around. An exhaust leak will be absolutely 'enlightening' in your ear

Try it in dark spot you might see leak spark if you are lucky

I had a broken converter snout that made that sound. If gear selection makes a difference then that could be a place to look....

I did the hose thing and once It warms up I can really hear ticking on both sides just holding it anywhere around the manifolds.

If this is a flat tappet cam make sure you have high zinc oil.

It's got vr1 10w-30. Is this stuff good enough. Was thinking about ordering one of the others like brad penn or something on next oil change.

I just went to autozone and got a bottle of zinc additive. I'll look and find out what. It was like $7.

Its lucas break in oil additive. You can just leave it in thru the life of the oil change. There is a great discussion of the vri "racing oil" and exactly how much zink it contains but $7 buys almost nothing by the way of replacing engine parts. Another option is the amsoil z rod oil formulated specifically for flat tappet valve trains with extra anticorrosive additives for engines that sit for extended times.

If this is a flat tappet cam make sure you have high zinc oil.

Their is a post on this forum about using High Zinc and ZZDP.. Before doing anything with High Zinc I would suggest that you read it...

-
Back